Starter Problems

xenus7850

Cadet
I have a 2005 Rinker 290 with a Mercrusier 5.0 MPI twin engine and I have started to have issues starting the port engine. When I turn the key to start, all I get is a click. Its been doing this all season, but has gotten progressively worse. In May, it might take me up to 4-5 turns at times to get that engine to turn over, not I have had it take upwards of 20-30 key turns to get it to start.

When the engine finally turns over, it turns right over, full power and starts in about 2-3 seconds. The battery terminals are clean. In addition, I have just discovered an issue and that issue is when I shut the key off, even when the engine did not start or turn over, just gave me a click, when I shut the key to the off position, I here a buzzing / whirling noise from I believe my starter.

My question is this, could it be any and/or all of the following:

1. Key ignitions
2. Corrosion somewhere I cannot see (battery terminals are clean).
3. A voltage issue (batteries are less than 1 year old and fully charged)
4. A grounding issue.

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this as I am not real sure where to start yet. What would cause the buzzing / whirling noise, except a bad starter?

Not sure if this could be related as these gauges have never worked for the 1 year that I have owned the boat. Both of my tachs, my speedometer and 1 of my volt gauges (volt gauge has 4 gauges in 1, volt, fuel, trim and temp) do not work, could this be a related ground issue.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter Problems

Do the very simple stuff first. When you say the battery terminals are clean -- did you physically disconnect, clean and replace or did you simply "look" at them? Looking is not a test -- it is an observation that means nothing. Because the terminals are clean and tight on the battery does not mean they are clean and tight on the other end (at the engine). If that proves not to be the issue, then the starter solenoid, starter itself, or wiring (in that order) become targets for investigation. My gut feel (after cables) is starter solenoid.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... This is your 3rd thread about the Same issues...

Have you done Any of the previously suggested diagnostics,..??

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

first place I would look is the starter slave solinoid, they fail quite often.