Starter - No power

mia248vista

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,

2003 5.0 Volvo Penta GXi-B
DPS drive

I went to start my engine yesterday and was not able to get it started. There was no power to the starter.

I did have power to everything else, horn, lights, gauges etc. The fuel pumps primed up when I put the key to ignition. I got the 2 beeps I normally get just before turning the ignition to the start position. I could hear a slight click (solenoid?) when I turn the key to the start position but NOTHING to the starter.

The batteries are just over a month old with a couple of perfect outings under the belt.

I did play with the key several dozen times and at one point got the starter to turn w/ plenty of juice and start the engine.

I followed the troubleshooting guide posted by Don S. posted here (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167035)

Well it looks like its my starter or the starter solenoid that is bad. I performed some test and was able to get power all the way to the starter solenoid (terminal B on Don's diagram). The connections were corroded so as i tried to take them off when part of the solenoid broke off.

So I guess it is time to pull the starter. My Seloc manual shows the screws on the side of the starter, however they are not there. Anyone know how to get this out? What other parts need to come off to get to this?

Also do i need to remove the starter if it turns out the problem is just the replacing the solenoid?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter - No power

If you get rid of that Seloc manual and get an oem manual you might find out how to work on your engine.
Here is a picture from the OEM manual. The bolts are vertical.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Starter bolts.jpg
    Starter bolts.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

I'm guessing that's a Chevy 5.0l,..??

If So,...
There's 2 bolts, up from the bottom, back under the rearmost area of the starter...
They take a 9/16" socket...

How much Other stuff you need to remove depends on your boat,...

Usually the starter is replaced with the solenoid, as they kinda 1 piece....

mia248vista

Seaman Apprentice

If you get rid of that Seloc manual and get an oem manual you might find out how to work on your engine.
Here is a picture from the OEM manual. The bolts are vertical.

Don, Thank you. Any recommendation on where to get the OEM manual?

Ayuh,...

I'm guessing that's a Chevy 5.0l,..??

If So,...
There's 2 bolts, up from the bottom, back under the rearmost area of the starter...
They take a 9/16" socket...

How much Other stuff you need to remove depends on your boat,...

Usually the starter is replaced with the solenoid, as they kinda 1 piece....

Bond-o, Being that they are under I might be able to get to it without removing anything.

Couple more questions...

Once removed do I attach the new solenoid and take it to Autozone for testing or can they test the starter w/o the Solenoid?

I notice that the starter and Solenoid seem to have been painted red. Is this something I should do? Can I spray it with anti-corrosion spray to avoid the corrosion problems.

Thanks again guys!!!!

mia248vista

Seaman Apprentice

So I went ahead and replaced the entire starter. There was corrosion on the starter motor itself and an old salt I took it too suggested I replace the whole thing or I would be doing this again in < 6 months.
Since it was a royal PITA for me to remove it, it was an easy sell. I went ahead and painted it red like the rest of the engine and the put a coat of anti-corrosion to hopefully prolong the life this time around. I hit the key and she starts up better than EVER!!!!!!

Don and Bond-O thanks again.