Starter issues Chevy straight 6

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Starter issues Chevy straight 6

Fishermark,
Thanks for joining in with the advice..Assuming I am pulling on the correct lever, the "L" ish shaped arm behind the motor and bolted directly to the stern wall..No matter what position I put it in, I guess starboard is "forward", middle "Nuetral" and fully to Starboard is "Reverse"...
But the prop spins freely in all positions.....uh-oh time?

p.s. I owe you a beer at Fishermans Village one day!

Is this what your shifter arrangement looks like at the stern?

DSCF5437.jpg

If you disconnect the lower shift cable you should be able to push or pull the cable fairly easily.

The "putting it into gear" that I was referring to was at the control up front. You do have a control box don't you? Is it connected? This thread has taken several directions... you might be better off starting a new one for this issue.

Oh yeah - Fisherman's Village is nice isn't it? I go down there occasionally. I usually go by boat from Pt Charlotte.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

It is exactly like that, and the cable is snapped at the control box, thus the manual pushing/pulling..
This thread started with the starter, then the fact that the motor wont turn, now to getting the OD unit off. I did remove the bolts and trim arms, but that sunofagun is welded at the gasket it seems..

I've only driven up to the village..maybe that will change soon
Thanks

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Chiefalan..
So I will be dropping the outdrive tomorrow, after doing so, should my engine be able to turn? What should I be looking for with the outdrive? What would have happened back there to lock up the motor?

chiefalen

Captain

Like mark said let's not get ahead of ourselves.

So far all you have invested is a couple hundrend dollars and some sweat.

Got the pb blaster yet cause this is where we really need it.

Spray that out drive all around the ring where it connects to the transom.

Stikin coupler and shaft could be rusted together.

The motor could have dropped a little binding the shaft from coming out, or turning.

Could be gears rusted together.

Could be aliens are living in there.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Thanks..Been spraying w/PBB since last night...Will see what happens today.
May change her name from "Beast" to S.S. Driveway, haha, or maybe Area 51 if those Aliens are up in there..
I can't thank all of you guys enough.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Just so you guys know I'm still banging away on this...
I have tried everything to get the OD off....My next move will be to use a block of wood and raise the trim against it....