Starter help!!

js810

Cadet
Hey guys new to the forum. Found alot of info all over this place already in rebuilding our 79 omc sterndrive. LOVE IT!! The only question I have that i cannot seem to find is on a starter swap. We have a autolite starter on it that is SHOT. We were going to try to rebuild it until we realized it was sooooo rusted that NOTHING came off without breaking. We were looking for starters and wondering if a delco remy style starter would be ok for us(can get those for fairly cheap vs the price tag of a autolite)? From the looks of the diagrams we were looking at it should be an ok swap by changing a wire or 2 around but we didnt want to order one until we knew. Any ideas????

JS810

js810

Cadet
Re: Starter help!!

Sorry forgot to mention its a ford 302 i was told

perna00

Petty Officer 1st Class

As long as the throw, teeth, size, and direction are correct, go for it. Just make sure you put some silicone grease on the splines before you install it.

js810

Cadet

SWEET! Thanks perna!! I really appreciate the fast response!! We'll be giving it a go and see what happens!

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I would take it to a re-builder and have them use it to change a standard starter to marine use. Delcos fit Chevys

js810

Cadet

well the problem is that its rusted throughout! we were going to rebuild via the manual but couldn't even get any bolts out. had 2 snap and noticed one was rusted about half way through the bolt. the cover hasnt been on it in some time now as well and can see rust build up on the interior. if i could get the cover off i would rebuild with a friend of the family who does these sorts of things but its so bad i want to stay away from a rebuild. delco-remy style starter's i've found clearly state that its a marine ford 302 starter though with perfect matchup so i know there not just for a chevy, but i do see your point in trying to stay with oem equipment instead of a change over. i guess i will continue to explore what i can do on our low budget with an autolite.

southkogs

Staff member

Do some searches for OMC Marine starters. They are not interchangeable with standard auto starters - mainly due to the way marine starters guard against spark (as I understand it). You can find the starters brand new on the web - Whatcha' got? Stringer 800?

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

The main difference in a marine starter is it is shielded and sealed from the elements. Sometimes that means the elements cant get out when they get in. The required shields are in your starter and the re builder can take the marine parts out to install in a similar starter. Sometimes. I have only seen Autolite starters on Fords? Guess anything is possible.

js810

Cadet

yea i understand oviously that they are different which is why i stated it was a MARINE starter. The old omc's used 3 different style of starters according to the HUGE manual i have for 1964-1986 omc sterndrives. i guess we arent really sure that the autolite was the stock starter it came with. we were told it was but we all know how that works lol. i'll give a ring to my uncle shop and see what it is they can do with the old one if anything. we have already ordered the new starter(as it was so cheap) and will test that first off but will not be in a big hole if it doesnt.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

JS,
Is there a link on-line that we could take a peak at what you bought?

FYI to the folks who are thinking this is a GM starter....
Delco-Remy got divorced from GM 18 years ago. The Delco has since been dropped, and Remy (which I assume is the manufacturer the OP is buying from), is now an independent manufacture/re-manufacturer of electronics for all sorts of stuff, which may include a marine spec starter for a Ford engine...

http://www.remyinc.com/history.asp

js810

Cadet

Hey guys sorry for the late reply been busy. Good news on the starter as it works just fine swapping with the old autolite. Just needed a couple wires hooked correctly but we have a new problem as the boat has sit it doesnt seem to wanna start now. will post new thread for new problem.

Thanks everyone for the help on it! its much appreciated!!