Starter engages with boat running and in neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronMajor

Recruit
Hello everyone. I have a 1997 Chris Craft Concept 25. When I start the boat I have no issues, fires right up and no problems. I shift it forward and I get out on the water for a good time. However, after running the boat, I shift back into neutral and then I hear a grinding sound that sounds like the starter is engaging. As soon as I shift out of neutral, the sound goes away, shift back into neutral, the grinding sound comes back. Keep in mind the engine is already running the whole time that this is going on. As I pulled back into the Marina today, the two hands that helped me moor to the pier heard it and immediately said that it sounds like the starter is engaging. So, I am coming to the community to see if anyone has any experience with this issue and what I can do to remedy the problem. Please let me know if I need to provide any additional information. Thanks for taking a look and lending a helping hand.

kenny nunez

Captain
Somewhere between the ignition switch and the neutral start switch in the control box is where the problem is. The start wire on the ignition switch should be a yellow/red you will have to start looking and testing with a test light.
If your control box has power trim control in the handle the “hot” wire for the power trim may be contacting the start circuit.
Does the starter engage when the engine is not running ? Does the boat have a battery switch and the only way to stop the engine from cranking by turning it off ?

IronMajor

Recruit
Thanks for the quick response. The boat does have a battery switch. The starter engages with no problems when the engine is not running when I turn the key. The starter does not engage when the ignition key is not turned. I have never had to turn off the battery switch to stop the engine from trying to start. This problem seems to only come up after I have shifted out of neutral to get the boat out on the water. Once the engine starts, the starter disengages and I have no issues. I only have the problem when the engine is running and after I have taken the boat out. I do have power trim control on the handle. When the starter engages, the second that I shift out of neutral (while the boat is running), the starter disengages, but as soon as I put the boat back in neutral, the starter reengages. The starter will continue to engage and disengage as I shift in and out of neutral.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Kenny has you covered with where to look. until you fix it, quit using the boat.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Since you only hear that noise when shifting in and out of gear. I'm thinking that the noise is coming from your outdrive. And that noise is the gears not being fully out of gear.

IronMajor

Recruit
When shifting out of reverse, I get the same noise...in fact I think it starts when I shift out of reverse back to neutral as I noticed it more when I was reversing to moor to the pier...I will have to continue to monitor. I have a mechanic that I can schedule to come out to the boat and take a look, which is certainly the best thing for me to do. I will keep everybody update.

IronMajor

Recruit
89retta, I had the outdrive serviced during the winter season. Gimbal bearing replaced, bellows replaced, drive shaft replaced. Do you think that the shop screwed something up?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Do this and it isn't destructive, just don't make it a habit - Start the motor and in neutral, tap the key to start. The sound is very distinctive as the bendix gear tries to engage the flywheel. Is the sound the same?

Another thing to try - Turn the key on without trying to start the motor and shift from from neutral to forward and back to neutral a few times. Does the starter kick in?

Nothing in the remote could cause the starter to engage unless the remote wiring is one jumbled, shorted mess.

Asked about reverse and now the added info about drive service because I'm thinking shift cable, either bad or needs adjustment/broken mechanics. Was this happening before the service? Agreeing with 89retta - It's not the starter.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
89retta, I had the outdrive serviced during the winter season. Gimbal bearing replaced, bellows replaced, drive shaft replaced. Do you think that the shop screwed something up?

Sounds like they misadjusted something. Did you have the problem before or after the work ? Like GA said try bumping the key while the engine is running. That would narrow down your problem

greenbm

Seaman
I had the exact same issue last year. Replaced my ignition switch... problem solved. Switch was allowing power to the starter all the time.

atherriault

Recruit
A long shot as this thread is old.. but I am currently having this same problem, any chance you can tell me what you did to remedy your situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.