Starter disengages before starting

nokiddin

Seaman
Gotta 84 Merc 90 hp inline 6.

When pulling my boat out after winter this year, first time trying to start it, I turned the key and the engine turned over once or maybe twice and then the starter seemed to disengage, or at least the engine was no longer turning over and it sounded like the starter was just spinning. This happened probably around six times in a row, then the engine fired up. To be clear, even if I held the key in the starting position, the starter motor just sounded like it disengaged, and then stopped. (The starter motor did not keep spinning until I let off the key)

I noticed this happening a couple times last year as well, and always with a few more tries at starting, eventually the engine would turn over enough to start. However, I remember it turning over a few more revolutions before the starter would spin freely.

I has come to my attention that the starter could disengage like this normally? Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Or is this a problem? If its a problem, any hints on diagnosing?

Thanks for your help, forgive me if I am na?ve, and this is something normal.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Starter disengages before starting

sounds like the starter bendix

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

I would start by disassembling the starter, clean out all of the gunk from brushes wearing, clean everything, lightly lube the bushings, lightly lube the bendix shaft, and see if that fixes it. That is assuming that your battery is good.

Don't let a starter scare you, there's not much to it. You may have to make a little tool out of sheetmetal to hold the brushes in place as you re-assemble. 5 minutes with tin snips and you're set, I've had mine apart a few times.

nokiddin

Seaman

What do I lube with, just multipurpose marine lube? or something different?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

NK, That is usually a normal condition. Whenever 1 cylinder fires, it will kick out the bendix. Usually it means the engine is not choked enough (cold starting) or a bit out of tune (warm starting).

For cold start: Pump the primer until carbs are full, lift the cold start lever all the way, hold down the choke button and then crank her until she fires. See if that helps.

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

I lubed my starter bushings will BelRay waterproof grease, as little as possible amount. The starter shaft, I just use a drop of 3 in 1 oil, nothing special.