Starter angxt (?) ?

mrzooom

Seaman
Ok... Trying to install full size Delco starter into 120/140 in line 4-cylinder serial #6255138... I get a "wurr, thudd, chunk, spin" every other crank... Is this starter not engaging correctly, is it wearing out, and if so can I install one of those reduction gear models with short/long bolts pattern?

Bondo

Staff member
Ok... Trying to install full size Delco starter into 120/140 in line 4-cylinder serial #6255138... I get a "wurr, thudd, chunk, spin" every other crank... Is this starter not engaging correctly, is it wearing out, and if so can I install one of those reduction gear models with short/long bolts pattern?
Ayuh,..... Sure,...... The long, 'n short bolts are the straight across pattern bolts,.....
The staggered pattern starter uses 2 long bolts,....

mrzooom

Seaman
Ayuh,..... Sure,...... The long, 'n short bolts are the straight across pattern bolts,.....

Well. Ironically, I'm also failing at installing a staggered/2 bolt into my 350. The damned bolts start to catch then just loosen again and fall out. Maybe I'll try shining the first one to see if it gets any better... Then check and replace bolts on second one...
If not, I'll have to replace both.
Those ones with the square mounting facia with multiple mount holes going in every direction look like no brainers... Any comments regarding those would be appreciated.!

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Well. Ironically, I'm also failing at installing a staggered/2 bolt into my 350. The damned bolts start to catch then just loosen again and fall out. Maybe I'll try shining the first one to see if it gets any better... Then check and replace bolts on second one...
If not, I'll have to replace both.
Those ones with the square mounting facia with multiple mount holes going in every direction look like no brainers... Any comments regarding those would be appreciated.!
Check to see that you're using the correct bolts. At least on some 4.3s there's a horrible mishmash of metric/SAE (on the same damn block). Just close enough to strip out if you're using the wrong type.

Dillusion808

Seaman Apprentice
I think you just need a shim kit. Can get it any auto store. I had to shim my 4.3L starter after replacing it.

I got pretty damn good at installing shims while not being able to see the flywheel. Guessing multiple times on what shim(s) to use before I got it to work.

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
DID THE ENGINE / YEAR /CYL /HP ..... YES !