starter and trim/tilt out during the same event...

bv 1500

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
2
My boat has a 1989 Force 85hp outboard. I was out on the water having a good day. Tried to start the motor up to head back home and got nothing but a click. Trim/Tilt went out at the same time. There is a slight constant noise when I try to engage the trim/tilt up or down. Was able to start the motor using the flywheel. Any idea what would cause both the starter and trim/tilt to go out at the same time? Thanks!
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: starter and trim/tilt out during the same event...

A dead battery for one.<br />A bad connection between battery and engine, either pos or neg.
 

bv 1500

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 18, 2006
Messages
2
Re: starter and trim/tilt out during the same event...

It's a brand new battery, fully charged and I cleaned the connections when I installed the battery. But I took your suggestion anyway Roscoe and you were right! I cleaned the connections again bingo, it fired right up. Nice when it's that simple. Thanks!
 
Top