started repair on wet transom

joseph L

Seaman
Started to cut wood out of transom. Transom was saturated. Was not rotted on top. It was rotted 9 inches from the bottom up. It was not to bad to cut out. I drilled holes and used the chainsaw. The weather made it harder because it is in the 30's so the wood was sorta frozen. I need to scrap inner walls and clean it to pour the seacast, and the weather need to warm up to 75 degrees. I update on the progress.

Joseph L.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: started repair on wet transom

Welcome Joseph and good luck with it.Looks like a waiting game as far as it being warm enough to pour.At least you are getting the hard part over with..:)

joseph L

Seaman

The stringers have no wood in it. It is filled with foam. The stringers are big.The height is 12" width is 8". I guess the steingers are made out of fiberglass? Any information on the stringers would be appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Boat Restoration and Building

oops!

Supreme Mariner

what kind of bote is it???

and the stringers are wood glassed over......they are the "frame" for the boat and must be ridgid.... the foam is not.

more info please

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Hey when do you plan to pour your transom? Im interested in seing pics as im thinking about redoing my transom with seacast. I did my transom with 2-pieces of 3/4 ply with roving in between last year. There is also a beefy stainless steel re-inforced plate on the transom of my boat. It was there from the previous owner that did not want to replace the transom but im leaving it there. I still like the idea of the seacast transom. Id like to see pics of the pour! It seems like everyone looses the pics of the pour when they pour the seacast. Most likely cause they have limited time and dont have time to mess around with a camera. But eather way please get someone to take pics of you pouring so we can all see!! A video would be even better!!! Im adding pics of the stainless steel reinforcement that was added to my transom by the previous owner. Like i said i redid the transom but im leaving the plating there its beefy!! Ive sence taken off that goofy ladder and as a matter of fact the boat is a lot nicer now than when those pics were taken. I just like that Stainless steel plating. Its welded and has angle steel along the edges making it stronger yet!!

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 0
  • bilge drain.jpg
    bilge drain.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0

joseph L

Seaman

Hy oops It is a 1981 20 foot pursuit There is on wood. It looks like a frame of fiderglass and of foam. The walls of the frame is about 1" thick.

joseph L

Seaman

Hi drewitch44 I will update you on it with pictcres and video.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Cool Joe i would really like to see a video about seacast!!! Noone really has pics of the actual pour but i imagine its cause there is no time to be ****ing around with the camera. Thanks a lot!!

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Hey Joseph

You sent me the pics on that boat a while back if I'm not mistaken correct? So it was rotted after all. To bad you don't have a shop or something with climate control to work on that boat so you could get it done faster. For the stringers being foam, I guess if it isn't saturated and doesn't just break apart when touched you might be alright. The 13ft of mine the stringers were so rotted out in that boat that some of the rotted wood was washed out and underneath the fiberglass was hollow.

Good luck with the transom, I hope all works out for you. Keep us posted on the progress.

joseph L

Seaman

I would like to know what kind of stringers they are called with out wood just fiderglass and foam

After what I have read I am not sure that I would use Seacast for the transom. I read a thread the other day that Seacast is to hard for the transom, it will crack and not flex like wood will. I know that the flex is very little with wood but what the other thread said was that it would break away form the rest of the boat. You might want to read this link before using seacast, http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=151381&page=1

joseph L

Seaman

Good morninig Guys.I would liketo know what kind of stringers they are called. With no wood just fiberglass and foam?

Ronnie_P

Cadet
Foam/ Wood sandwich stringers

Hello all, Im restoring a 21.5ft 1979 Fiberform sportsman. The stringers were made a little differently in this boat and I am replacing them. Originally they were plywood incased in fiberglass on either side of a bottom fuel tank. With a piece of plywood layed over the tops on either side, fiberglassed over, filled with flotation foam, and a molded fiberglass floor insert resting on the transom box and attached to the rub rail. It seems the fiberglass gave most of the strength. I do not wish to use plywood agian. My Idea is to take closed cell foam (The 4X8 blue sheets at Lowes and Home Depot), use liquid nail to sandwich the foam with 1/8 inch pine or fiberglass wall covering (the 4X8 pannels sold in the same locations), sealing the ends with paint or RTV, and then fiberglass over them. Since the foam melts in contact with resin, the wood or roughed up fiberglass and pained ends would act as a barrier and would considerably strengthen the foam. This would be laid out as a box and filled with floatation foam. Anyone ever try this? Do you think its a good idea or just rubbish? I know the fiberglass alone is strong enough because i ran the boat when the stringers were mush and there was no flex whatsoever. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ronnie_P

Cadet

Hello all, Im restoring a 21.5ft 1979 Fiberform sportsman. The stringers were made a little differently in this boat and I am replacing them. Originally they were plywood incased in fiberglass on either side of a bottom fuel tank. With a piece of plywood laid over the tops on either side, fiberglassed over, filled with flotation foam, and a molded fiberglass floor insert resting on the transom box and attached to the rub rail. It seems the fiberglass gave most of the strength. I do not wish to use plywood agian. My Idea is to take closed cell foam (The 4X8 blue sheets at Lowes and Home Depot), use liquid nail to sandwich the foam with 1/8 inch pine or fiberglass wall covering (the 4X8 panels sold in the same locations), sealing the ends with paint or RTV, and then fiberglass over them. Since the foam melts in contact with resin, the wood or roughed up fiberglass and pained ends would act as a barrier and would considerably strengthen the foam. This would be laid out as a box and filled with floatation foam. Anyone ever try this? Do you think its a good idea or just rubbish? I know the fiberglass alone is strong enough because i ran the boat when the stringers were mush and there was no flex whatsoever. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey joe....

again....the stringers are wood with fiberglass over them.....unless someones been messing with it.....

i dont know if any stringers ever made, are a foam product....they just arent ridgid enough.

you may be doing a stringer project.....

there is a hi teck composit stringer that is on the market....but that is a 81 and VERY unlikely especially at 1 inch thick.

take the grinder out and do some investigating....you have to know what you are working with.

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey drew.....

ship shape tv.....i think it has a seacast pour on it......its on u tube.

sorry , i dont have the link

oops