Start boat with outdrive removed?

Reorandy

Cadet
I have taken my outdrive off and need to start the boat. How can I accomplish this? I am not sure what to hook up the garden hose up to. Before I took off the outdrive, I put the throttle in fwd gear. I would have to put it in neutral to start the boat. Any suggestions? 1987 Merc 260 v8 5.7L w/ alpha one outdrive.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral
Re: Start boat with outdrive removed?

You need to secure the hose in the water inlet in the bellhousing, you don't want it to come loose while the engine is running, turn the water on full. Yes it needs to be in neutral, the neutral safety switch is in the control. You need to keep water flowing to keep the rubber parts of the exhaust system cool.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

+1... make a rig to hold to the hose securely in the water port in the bell housing (e.g., wire, etc.). Throttle lever only needs to be in fwd to remove and then reinstall the outdrive..... while the drive is off the boat, you can have the throttle in any position you need it in for what you are doing.

cr2k

Captain

Just to start boat to see if it fires no water needed, to run boat for more then 5 seconds you need water so you don't burn up the rubber exhaust couplers and flappers.

Last edited:

Reorandy

Cadet

Thanks guys for the info, very helpful. One more, if I may.... I believe you are referring to hooking up the hose securely to the the water passage hole (with the small o Ring) to the left of the drive bellows. And this is the inlet which feeds water to the U shaped white plastic tube inside the engine compartment just above the drive shaft which leads to a black rubber hose, which feeds the water intake system for cooling the boat. Just to clarify.

Stick your garden hose in the Water inlet as shown on the attached photo (by Fishermark), and let er rip...

You want to make sure it doesn't fall out while the boat is running. Either wedge something or have someone hold it or be creative ??

Wouldn't be a bad idea to stick a rag in the gimbal bearing area so it doesn't get wet.

Attachments

• Fishermark Water inlet.jpg
    Fishermark Water inlet.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Reorandy

Cadet

Thank you, thank you, thank you all! Just might get this old tub back in the H20 very soon.... Thanks!