Stardust Cruiser 53'

undrh2o

Seaman Apprentice
Thought I would post some pics of my restoration/remodel for those interested in houseboats...this has become my full time liveaboard and is a work in progress. Any comments/suggestions are always welcome :D

I purchased the boat after seeing her on stands and realizing it was essentially a blank canvas. It WAS powered by an OMC 225hp/Chevy 305 but after taking delivery it was discovered the block was cracked so I replaced it with an OMC 260hp/Chevy 350.

P2221771.JPGP2221776.JPG

New hull front to back with a 12" sideboard as opposed to the original 8", also has a stainless beach plate on the bow. At the same time the roof mount A/C units were removed, holes sealed and a new fiberglass roof installed on both upper and lower levels.

to keep the thread shorter I will post before/after shots of the same area up to the point I am now...

011.jpg012.jpg016.jpg

undrh2o

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Stardust Cruiser 53'

after adding luan to the ceiling/floor and bead board. I chose Quartz for the countertops, tile backsplash, smooth glass cooktop and twin sinks...

View attachment 123589View attachment 123590View attachment 123591

I pulled the original bunks from the port side and added a wall w/pocket door to match the starboard side which is the head...I stripped the head and installed everything new, shower, toilet, vanity & fixtures and hardwood floors...

View attachment 123592View attachment 123593

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hello undrh2o,
Welcome to the Iboats dry dock.

That is one cool floating motor home you got there.

Did you get it in the condition that it looks like when it was sitting on the stands? Or was it in rough shape and you have fixed it up to look that nice...on the outside of course...

I can definitely see your vision of a blank canvas, that is too cool.

By the way, I have never known any one with a house boat so I am going to have a bunch of questions for you, if you don't mind?

The pictures in your second post didn't come through...make sure you "Go Advanced" when you post pictures...I sure do want to see everything you are doing to this beautiful sea mansion.

Best regards,
GT1M

undrh2o

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks GT1M! I bought the boat after seeing it on stands because I was able to see the new bottom and get a true marine survey with no question as to the integrity of the hull...

I will re-post the pics and add a few more...and ask all the questions you want, I love talking about her!

undrh2o

Seaman Apprentice

new salon with the counters, backsplash and cooktop...

PA200077.JPGPA200073.JPGPA290105.JPG

undrh2o

Seaman Apprentice

bathroom with corner shower, new toilet, vanity and hardwood floors...

006.jpg009.jpg008.jpg

P3170013.jpgP3031816.JPG

undrh2o

Seaman Apprentice

out with the old...

P2071620.JPGPA160064.JPGPA160066.JPG

in with the new...

PB120135.JPGPB120136.JPG

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Hello Undrh20,
I would like to offer my welcome to you also, and to ask that you keep the photos coming. We love photos around here. I will be watching your thread, I also have never known anybody with a houseboat either. You have done a great job on the head (check out my thread sometime, I am very jealous of people with restrooms as large as yours. I am in the process of adding one to my old boat and it is really smmmmaaaallll!.:eek::eek: I guess a small head is better than no head.....Sorry! I know that sounded like a she said joke!:D
:D Dave

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Wow!, that Galley or is it kitchen, in a houseboat, has turned out amazing...looks like a million bucks! And I love the curved shower in the head, really opens it up. The window in there is new?? Really brightens the room.

OK, first of many questions...what do you use for house power, a genset or shore or both?
2- Does everything house related run on 120V/220V? or are some things like the lights 12V?

undrh2o

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks GT & Dave!

I have checked out both your threads...(yeah I lurked around awhile before posting :) )

GT the head/shower I am quite proud of, especially being a guy and putting it together, lol! Everyone that has been aboard loves it! I must say the salon/kitchen is coming together well also. The tile backsplash was my focal point...

When in my slip I plug into 50amp shore power, I have both 120 & 12v lights and the grey water pump and bilges run on 12v. The heat pump, stove, fridge etc all run on 120v.

I have a Kohler 7.5kw on board but am working on getting it started...it should be plenty of juice when off the hook even for the A/C.

I will post more pics tonight when I back on board...;)

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Was the tile hard to set on the boat? Did you use cement board as a base? And lastly could you post a close up shot of the tile. I would like to add something of the sort to my boat but have been hesitant because of weight. Although with your greatly larger hull you can hold a ?little? more weight than I. Your photos really look great. Did you paint her when up on the stands? The white looks very fresh.
c-ya
:DDave

undrh2o

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Dave,

I didn't use cement board behind the tile...I did apply a product called Red Guard that was recommended by a tile guy, it creates a waterproof membrane once dry. The tile was actually very easy considering I had never laid tile before :) It helped that the tile was in 12" square sheets, the next step is to try my hand at grout!

The boat was painted when I looked at it along with the new hull and roof...one of the reasons I bought it!

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks my friend. I am going to go hunt up Red Guard now on the web. I'll be back with more questions I am sure.
dave

undrh2o

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Dave,

I missed your request for a close up of the tile but will get one and send to you...

I started the grout yesterday and I think it went really well! I ran out before I could finish it all though, lol!

The Red Guard was purchased at Home Depot, it's a stock item they keep in the tile mortar/adhesive aisle in the local one here.

BTW-Great progress on your boat! Keep up the good work!

undrh2o

Seaman Apprentice

Finally finished the grout last night, I really like the color...it seems to pull everything together :) I plan on starting the hardwood floors this week in the salon/galley...will post more pics soon!

PC060188.JPG

PC060191.JPG

a few extra pics...

PC060190.JPG

RAYS CAMERA 010.jpg

my combo LG washer/dryer...works great!!! and I don't have to transfer clothes from wash to dry, lol!

PC060184.JPG

undrh2o

Seaman Apprentice

18000 BTU dual zone heat pump...ran it all summer keeping the boat nice and cool...highest bill was $74!

P3170016.jpg

P3170018.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

The Stardust is looking beautiful...Maybe, just maybe, I can show these pictures to my wife and convince her to move into a houseboat...Hmmmm;)

And I love how you make even ordinary anchors look like wall art...You are doing an absolutely excellent job!

Regards,
GT1M

undrh2o

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks GT! I have plenty more I can post to try and convince her, lol!

All my dock mates call me particular because has to be in place...they probably think I'm just anal and were being nice :D

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I have been looking for the right houseboat lately myself. Gibson, Burns-craft and Nautaline are my choice if I can find one my and the wife agree on. I want good bones and she likes the lipstick. Lipstick will not make her float. You have a great looking platform there to start with. Cant wait for an update.

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. ?She? looks awesome. The tile turned out uber nice. I looked up the red guard. You said that you did not use hardybacker so did you install directly to drywall/wooden bulkhead? I want to do some mosaic tile like yours it is very nice. The grout does tie it all together visually. And I am trying to decide whether to put the added weight (which I really don?t want) of the cement board or to try to mount directly to the wooden/fiberglass walls.:confused:
Red guard site said; that installation on cement board recommended but it can be installed onto drywall also.
Lastly did you stain/install cabinets in kitchen yourself? I like that color.
Dave:D
P.S. Thanks for kind words on my little boat.:D:D