Starcraft Transom Repair

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got a fiberglass Starcraft V160, 1982. It is really hard to see the inside of the transome on this boat. Transom is spongy. As a temporary remedy I did the 1/4" aluminum plate and angle iron thing to get me through the summer. I will be replacing the transom over the off season. From what I can see, the plywood doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the hull. Has anyone seen this before. My plan was to remove the top. Replace plywood, coating it with epoxy resin, and then just epoxy resin to seal everything up. will this work. I guess I will know more when I get started. Will post pics when I get started also. Surte would love to do the CC conversion on this.

mjash

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starcraft Transom Repair

any help appreciated

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

When you go to replace, simply replace it in a manner that you think will improve it. On my project, the transom was not thick enough, and also did not set flush with the hull bottom. I glassed in a thicker transom that fit the bottom, and filletted the bottom of the transom so there was a nice end result. I too had felt that the way the original was glassed in helped in ruining it, so I did it better. All you have to remember is that boat was built in an assembly line maner by people who wanted to go home at the end of their shift. You have the oportunity to take your time and do it right, like a true craftsman would. Good luck...

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi Mark,<br /> Once you've got the deck off, yours will likely look much like mine. Lots of pics on my site (click my profile) showing what I did to redo the transom. Chances are you'll find more than just the transom issue once you get into it - just going from my own experience the transom is usually the last part of the wooden construction stuff to go...<br /> Mine was also only partially done down to the bottom originally. On the redo I ran the transom full width and heighth. <br />- Scott