Starcraft Supersport 22 FT V5 235hp Johnson

spinnerbaits

Cadet
I have enjoyed this forum for 2 years now. It is a great tool for anyone that has a boat or is planning to start boating. Recently I found the boat I have searched for over the past 2 year, it is a Starcraft Supersport 22FT V5. I found it on craigslist the week before this past Easter. I spoke to the oringinal owner and had to see it. I drove from Michigan to Rochester NY after several conversations seeing additional photos from the owner. On Good Friday I took it for a spin on Lake Ontario, well it was 4 foot wave so the 235hp Johnson certainly was not at full throttle. I was able to open it up in a bay with 1ft chop and it hit 55 mph with two of us in the boat. The boat also came with a 15hp Tahatus kicker motor that runs super smooth and controlled the boat well.

The owner told me that the boat was always trailer and not let in the water over night. From reading this forum I have learned to be concerned about floor and transom rot, along with water getting into the baot through lose seams and rivets. So before we lowered the boat I had the seller remove a small panel covering the bilge compartment to see how much water and to look for signs of water staining. I was amazed to see how clean and dry the transom and bilge area was. There was about one cup of water in the bildge, after 1 1/2 hours of testing the boat, we put the boat on the trailer and while on and incline at the launch there was still only 1 cup of water in the bilge. For being 34 years old it is in really great shape. The transom holds a huge 235hp Johnson Seahorse along with the 15 hp kick and there are no indention or deformities to the transoms surface. The center plywood panel that covers the full tank has carpet lifting about a 1/2" along the edge where the panels meet. I expect this is normal and could be easy to fix with new carpet and epoxy sealing the edges of the plywood.

The trailer is a Holsclaw single axle with hydraulic surge brakes that work off the pressure against the hitch ball I was surprised how well this kind of systems works. The only concern is a washboard wear patterned on the inside of one of the tires. I have read that is might be caused by lose bearing or an axle that need to be aligned. Before my 9 hour drive back to Michigan, I added bearing buddies and a new tire was put on.
Does anyone know if a dual axle would be better that a single axle? The boat pulled well behind my Avalanche, but on a few occasions it got into a rhythmic swaying motion but with a firm grip on the wheel it smooths back out.

Attachments

• DSC00428.jpg
    DSC00428.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC00431.jpg
    DSC00431.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC00435.jpg
    DSC00435.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 15

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starcraft Supersport 22 FT V5 235hp Johnson

Welcome to the Starmada. Nice looking SS. Looking at your first pic, from the rear toward the truck, it looks like the bow is close to the tail gate. It could be the angle. Usually a swaying trailer is caused by too little weight on the ball. Post a side view of the rig. Also, again it could be the angle, but the middle pic looks like the wheel is cambered or the axle is bent. That would cause inside wear on that tire. Pics lie sometimes, so ignore my comments, except the tongue weight.

Enjoy your new SS and have lots of fun. You will wear the Starmada :D all summer.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

That right there is my dream boat, congrats. I would definatly consider a tandem trailer. I would definatly get rid of the rollers and convert to bunks, but that's my personal opinion. That should be a really fun boat with enough power to do whatever you want :D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Very Nice, my identical twin!

So what are your plans?

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Great find! Your patience was rewarded!

dozerII

Admiral

Great looking boat, and welcome. It looks like the trailer is overloaded, in the second picture it almost looks like the tire has a lean in at the top, if that is so, it would wear the inside of the tire and is probably from a bent axle. The same thing happened to the trailer under my SS, so I converted it to a tandem.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You have just made a few of the guys that hang out around here very very jealous!!!

Super awesome score!!!!

235 HP, wow! Man, I wonder what the top speed will be on that?:scared:

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have just made a few of the guys that hang out around here very very jealous!!!

Super awesome score!!!!

235 HP, wow! Man, I wonder what the top speed will be on that?:scared:

I am one of the jealous ones. What a great boat. Nice find and welcome to the forum.

spinnerbaits

Cadet

Welcome to the Starmada. Nice looking SS. Looking at your first pic, from the rear toward the truck, it looks like the bow is close to the tail gate. It could be the angle. Usually a swaying trailer is caused by too little weight on the ball. Post a side view of the rig. Also, again it could be the angle, but the middle pic looks like the wheel is cambered or the axle is bent. That would cause inside wear on that tire. Pics lie sometimes, so ignore my comments, except the tongue weight.

Enjoy your new SS and have lots of fun. You will wear the Starmada :D all summer.

Thanks! I agree the boat deserves a better trailer and I don?t need to be tailgted by the beast. So as luck would have it I found a newly listed 1979 Calkins 22' dual axle 7000# trailer listed this past Saturday and picked it up Sunday. I plan to refurbish it and set it up to properly haul the SS.

dozerII

Admiral

Now your talking, good score on the trailer.

spinnerbaits

Cadet

Very Nice, my identical twin!

So what are your plans?

It is your identical twin and in the same state. Maybe they will cross paths some day!

It is in really good shape so I don't plan to do more than general maintenance. I will change the water pump, lower unit lube, on both the 235 Seahorse and 15 kicker, maybe clean the carpet, just play with it and keeping it in is good shape so when I take the big plunge like you have, I will be familiar with the boat more than I am know and have ideas thanks to your postings and others.

I like to fish: It came with 2 down riggers, loran fish finder, ship to shore, so I plan to use it for that as well as pleasure. I have a FS1800 glass bass Tracker package with a GT-150 O/B that I just restored over the past 3 years and plan to sell.

I am bummed that there isn't any better mounts for adding an electric motor to the bow without cluttering up the deck in the bow. I posted a couple photos of the trailer I just picked up. Thanks for your helpful information!

InMotion

Commander

Man I'm drooling..... :) Nice scores!! Glad to see you picked up a more solid trailer... no doubt it will ride a lot better and give you much more peace of mind!

J.

GA_Boater

The Queen has a new carriage. :) Good move, you can relax the grip on the wheel now. :D

spinnerbaits

Cadet

Great find! Your patience was rewarded!

Thanks I look forward to using it. I will post the trailers progress as I give it a new life.

Attachments

• 2013-04-23_12-35-54_918.jpg
    2013-04-23_12-35-54_918.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 2013-04-23_12-36-25_663.jpg
    2013-04-23_12-36-25_663.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 6

GA_Boater

The new trailer fits better before you even swap over.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

attachment.php

You don't really appreciate how big these 22'ers are until you see them in context, like behind a full size van. Really cool boat. Have fun!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

That new trailer should be a much better fit. You will really appreciate how well the tandem pulls and how easy they are to back up.

tincanman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those all terrain tires should really help getting traction on a slippery ramp as well. :lol:

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Hey! Check out my thread, now we have identical boats and trailers! LOL.

If you get a minute post up some more pics of your boat, like the interior and stuff. Especially post pics of it in the water!

There is another guy on here named Yorkboater with a twin to ours as well, his has a 200hp, and there is a YouTube video of it online from its previous owner...