Starcraft Rub Rail

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Today I had an “Oh no, what have I done” moment.
This moment came as soon as I peeled the first foot of rub rail off. I had to apply heat from the heat gun.

A bit late to ask now, but is this the rub rail material still available anywhere? I’m concerned I’m not going to be able to heat this up enough to be pliable enough to reinstall it.

Attachments

• 690F3904-4E74-4DAD-A4B8-3CDBC8E9E07C.jpeg
    690F3904-4E74-4DAD-A4B8-3CDBC8E9E07C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 31
  • 825A7A78-567A-455D-8ACC-F10E1C44F51C.jpeg
    825A7A78-567A-455D-8ACC-F10E1C44F51C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33

Rasdiir

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Someone else found a replacement at Wefco, might be the right one for you too?

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
Today I had an “Oh no, what have I done” moment.
This moment came as soon as I peeled the first foot of rub rail off. I had to apply heat from the heat gun.

A bit late to ask now, but is this the rub rail material still available anywhere? I’m concerned I’m not going to be able to heat this up enough to be pliable enough to reinstall it.
Hey, I recognize that cardboard box in the pic!

I'm very interested in rubrail restoration/replacement options as well. The rubber inserts in those ~ 5 ft long rubrails down the side of the hull were in tough shape, and there was a damaged section in the top gunnel rubrail as well. I've seen motorcycle guys restore rubber parts by washing/soaking in various products to clean and soften old hard rubber. I'm not quite there yet in the project, but soon. If I could find new at a reasonable price, I'd go that route, but ensuring proper fitment might be a challenge, particularly as my hull is not a Starcraft.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The Wefco rub rail inserts are the same profile but not vinyl, they are rubber. No online sales, old school call them to place your order.
Profile 0101G... http://wefcorubber.com/PDF/marine/Rub-Rail Inserts.pdf

Added it here again for those in the future just in case that link above goes dead... :)

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Hey, I recognize that cardboard box in the pic!

I'm very interested in rubrail restoration/replacement options as well. The rubber inserts in those ~ 5 ft long rubrails down the side of the hull were in tough shape, and there was a damaged section in the top gunnel rubrail as well. I've seen motorcycle guys restore rubber parts by washing/soaking in various products to clean and soften old hard rubber. I'm not quite there yet in the project, but soon. If I could find new at a reasonable price, I'd go that route, but ensuring proper fitment might be a challenge, particularly as my hull is not a Starcraft.
Yup, thank you very much for your kind donation it’s going to look great. Appreciate the soak idea. I will look into that. Im hoping to reuse the original but not sure how it re-installs. (Slide in with liberal soapy water, or mallet in with heat gun??)

MNhunter1

Ensign
Yes, hot soapy water. I put mine in a big plastic tote filled with hot water and dawn dish soap. Get the channel as clean as you can and it should feed in rather easily. A needle nose vice grips on the end of the insert helps with the grip and a partner is always useful to have one on the end pulling and the other at the bucket feeding/pushing the insert in.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Yes, hot soapy water. I put mine in a big plastic tote filled with hot water and dawn dish soap. Get the channel as clean as you can and it should feed in rather easily. A needle nose vice grips on the end of the insert helps with the grip and a partner is always useful to have one on the end pulling and the other at the bucket feeding/pushing the insert in.
Great to know this works. I have blown my budget for this phase so if I can re-use it, I’m all for it.

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does the SS16 have one continuous rub-rail all the way around the bow, or is it in two pieces with a nose casting covering the seam? My Alum Goods hull uses a continuous piece all the way around, which I'm imagining is going to be a real pain to install.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Does the SS16 have one continuous rub-rail all the way around the bow, or is it in two pieces with a nose casting covering the seam? My Alum Goods hull uses a continuous piece all the way around, which I'm imagining is going to be a real pain to install.
2 piece. The bow cap covers the meetup. and I’ll bet!! Need a hand let me know

CazenoviaTony

Recruit
Thanks for the hints here. I have a 1964 StarCraft 16’ runabout SeaMist. The rub rail inserts are all very well aged and some torn. Two different sizes, including the classic hull stripe. Would love to replace all of it. Has anyone ordered similar inserts from Taco Marine or Wefco. Luckily all the rails are in great shape.

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
When I ordered mine they were 2 months out and this was pre-supply shortage crazy times. Hope you gets yours quick! A little dish soap or even oil helps the new stuff slide right in. Its not near as rigid as the original rub rail.