Starcraft Islander steering

Mi_fiveo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Need help choosing a rotary steering system

I’m looking at replacing the steering system on my 2002 Starcraft Islander 4.3l with power steering. There is a lot of play back and forth in the steering wheel and the cable seems like it should be replaced. Which Seastar rotary system is correct for my application? From what I can tell so far, I think I do not want a no feedback system since I have power steering. Any help is appreciated!

Mi_fiveo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I’m looking at replacing the steering helm and cable on my 02 Starcraft Islander 221. It has the 4.3l with power steering assist. I’m not sure if the current setup is rack and pinion or rotary but it is very sloppy with back and forth play in the wheel. I’m sure the cable is original and should be replaced. I’ve been looking at the rotary helm steering options from Seastar. Does anyone know which one would be correct for my boat? They have so many options it’s kind of confusing.

Mi_fiveo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
[No message]

Attachments

• photo307350.jpg
    photo307350.jpg
    610.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo307351.jpg
    photo307351.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo307352.jpg
    photo307352.jpg
    833 KB · Views: 0
  • photo307353.jpg
    photo307353.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 0

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
The original cable is identifiable on the outer casing of the steering cable. The length is in feet from the manufacturer, then just round up to the nearest foot from the choices from the brand you’re looking to replace it with.
When I was at that point of my re-do this was pointed out to me from our local marinas mechanic. I also upgraded to the no feed back system with the tilt feature. Hope this helps.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Look under your helm to see what you have

Also you may want to make sure you simply are not trying to correct v-hull wander

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
With power steering you won't need to go with a NFB style helm. I've had great success with the SeaStar rotary helms and cables.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer
I am assuming you fish the great lakes (Michigan) Have you considered switching to hydraulic steering system, especially if you have considered installing auto pilot??? I put hydraulic steering in my Chieftain and absolutely love it...1 finger steering......the wife loves it when we are trolling. There is no wander when you take your hands off the wheel as it holds outdrive in position that you had turned wheel to. I got the Uflex system for around 800 searching online for the cheapest price for the helm and the steering cylinder.