Starcraft Islander Question...

VanderLaan

Seaman
I have a line on an old Islander and was wondering if anyone ever rebuilt the hull as a tender/walk-through. Something like a Lund Alaskan with dual consoles and a walk-through windshield (open bow). I would use it as a tender for layout hunting, fishing inland lakes and trolling on the great lakes as well. From reading the other Islander threads, converting the transom to an OB appears to be relatively straightforward. My intial concerns are finding a suitable walk-through windshield and the side decking for downriggers and rodholders (fabricate it?). I would appreciate any suggestions, leads or threads where anyone has done something similar.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starcraft Islander Question...

Hmmmm......

I don't think I can remember anybody going cabin to dual console around here. We've had cabin to CC and cabin to SC though. You are right though, the windshields would likely be the crux of that part of the project.

Weldzilla has a finished project with an OB on a bracket. Also we have a few conversions in progress right now going on around here;):)

Based on what you are talking about here I can't help but wonder if it might be worth waiting for a big Super Sport, outboard version to save you a whole lot of trouble?

Welcome to iboats!