StarCraft holiday 18ft 3.0 to 4.3 swap, good idea?

Bow4game

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1969 StarCraft holiday and was wanting to do a motor swap on it this winter. Some of you may remember I bought a cracked motor that had a bad detonated piston. Well I welded the block and ran it. Been running for a few years now, but it really struggles with skiing with a boat load. Probably because it’s just clapped out. I was wondering to those who have swapped the 4.3 into the StarCraft how do you like it? Was it worth it? I can do all the work myself I have rebuilt the whole boat at this point. I have my eye on a junked boat with newer 4.3 and a gen 2 alpha. I was wanting to see some pictures of the motor mounts. Thanks guys.

Bow4game

Seaman Apprentice
forgot to mention I run on a small long lake. It Will never be on big water if the waves are even 8” and if it’s windy i doubt it will ever leave my shop. I use it for drift fishing, running jugs and skiing. Thanks guys.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... In an 18'er, you'll have plenty of power for water sports,.....

Unfortunately, I don't have access to pics of my ole motor mounts handy at this time,....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The 4.3 is perfect for smaller boats as long as you have room for the engine mount on each side of the engine. There are a few members on here who swapped from a 4 cyl to a 4.3 (Rick Stephens, Nola Mike?) so you should be able to search and see how they did it. The engine is shorter but a lot wider than the 4 cyl. If smoothness is very important to you start with a later model with the balance shaft. I have a pre-balance shaft and it's tolerably smooth due to the soft engine mounts.

jbcurt00

Staff member
@Watermann 4.3 swapped into his 18ft Chief, same basic 18ft hull as your Holiday, his topic shows his motor mount fab

Bow4game

Seaman Apprentice
Ayuh,..... In an 18'er, you'll have plenty of power for water sports,.....

Unfortunately, I don't have access to pics of my ole motor mounts handy at this time,....
Okay, I found an old forum where you had posted them once. They was no longer able to view though.

Bow4game

Seaman Apprentice
The 4.3 is perfect for smaller boats as long as you have room for the engine mount on each side of the engine. There are a few members on here who swapped from a 4 cyl to a 4.3 (Rick Stephens, Nola Mike?) so you should be able to search and see how they did it. The engine is shorter but a lot wider than the 4 cyl. If smoothness is very important to you start with a later model with the balance shaft. I have a pre-balance shaft and it's tolerably smooth due to the soft engine mounts.
Okay I’ll see if I can find there build threads. I have been through waterman’s before. I have tossed around this idea for awhile. The 3.0 actually does a really good job and it plains fast with light load. But load my family and their coolies the. people gotta stand on the beach and watch lol. That’s after I change to a 17p prop trying not to loose my washers in the water.

Bow4game

Seaman Apprentice
Also if I do the 4.3 should I think about bringing my fuel tank and battery up to the bow? Would it make much difference? 20gal tank 100ah battery is what I have. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Okay, I found an old forum where you had posted them once. They was no longer able to view though.
Ayuh,..... That's because of the ole photo bucket thing,....

In a nutshell, I took a piece of .090" aluminum sheet, 'n bent it so that the top is at the level of the top of the stringers, for several inches toward the center, to a 45* bend, down to the little stiffeners on the bottom of the hull, with another bend there to match the stiffeners,....

Each piece is pop-riveted to the top of the stringer at the top, 'n to the hull stiffeners at the bottom,.....
Each motor mount sits on little wooden blocks to gain enough height, 'n all is bolted to the bent aluminum pieces,....

The aluminum pieces started out as 'bout a foot square or so, then I skeletonized 'em to be able to get to the starter, bilge pump, 'n anything else under the motor,....

It all held up nicely for better than 20 years, 'n are still in fine shape now, waitin' for me to cut up the hull, 'n haul it to the scrap yard,....

Bow4game

Seaman Apprentice
Ayuh,..... That's because of the ole photo bucket thing,....

In a nutshell, I took a piece of .090" aluminum sheet, 'n bent it so that the top is at the level of the top of the stringers, for several inches toward the center, to a 45* bend, down to the little stiffeners on the bottom of the hull, with another bend there to match the stiffeners,....

Each piece is pop-riveted to the top of the stringer at the top, 'n to the hull stiffeners at the bottom,.....
Each motor mount sits on little wooden blocks to gain enough height, 'n all is bolted to the bent aluminum pieces,....

The aluminum pieces started out as 'bout a foot square or so, then I skeletonized 'em to be able to get to the starter, bilge pump, 'n anything else under the motor,....

It all held up nicely for better than 20 years, 'n are still in fine shape now, waitin' for me to cut up the hull, 'n haul it to the scrap yard,....
Okay so you didn’t need to strengthen them from underneath with wood running to the ribs the ? That’s what I was wondering. Sure is sad to hear she’s going to the scrap yard. I would buy another one if I see it. I love these old boats. Thank you guys very much.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
I was considering this on a boat project a few years ago.
I was looking at donors that were either junked or damaged and scrapped.
The problem was I'm in MN, and it gets cold here, and often boats that are either junked or scrapped are not serviced for winter, so many potential donors had cracked blocks and/or manifolds.

IF you are in a area that gets cold, watch for this close.

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
One thing to think about is you will lose the 2 jump seats on each side, not just the space but the added weight of the engine will probably reduce your capacity by at leas 1 adult or 2 children. you could put a bench seat in front but then you are really getting heavy in the back. might not be a problem, just thinking out loud.

My 3.0 is pretty fresh but it has no problems pulling tubers with a heavily overloaded boat (4th of july, 8 people, coolers and gear)