Starcraft Chieftain 21 project

RainMan302v8

Cadet
I am considering jumping into a project boat that hasnt been run in ten years. The motor was allegedly rebuilt and new risers bellows etc installed before the project stalled for unknown reasons<br /><br />The hull doesnt leak (supposedly), and the MerCruiser 140 is powered by the Iron Duke GM four banger, which is probably one of the best small engines in the world.<br /><br />Does anyone have experience with the 73 vintage Chieftains? What are some things to watch out for (aside from the usual engine frozen, rams leaking sort of thing?

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Starcraft Chieftain 21 project

did you buy her off ebay? was looking at one there<br />MYself... great layout on that model! at least u<br />don't have to worry about rotted stringers :) <br />restoring one is like eatin an elephant... 1 bite<br />at a time!<br />ask specific questions once you get into her and<br />all here will help.<br />good luck!<br />M.Y.

Bondo

Staff member

I've got a 74 Islander.....<br />I replaced the transom + cockpit floors......<br />Same hull as your's, only a lower cabin.....<br />I replace 3 or 4 rivits a year, useing waterproof pop rivits....<br />It's a Great hull, it just doesn't like Big chop at higher speeds....<br />Oh ya, I replaced the 140hp with a 205hp 4.3LX.....

RainMan302v8

Cadet

This one is being sold locally, although I believe the one you are talking about was a chicago "charity boat". <br /><br />Sounds like a beauty Bondo, and fast with the V-6. I like to boat all day long, and with projected fuel prices at 3 dollars and higher for this summer, its the four banger or oars.

RainMan302v8

Cadet

Thanks for the link mooner, Ive been following Ed's work on Moonshine for quite a while now, hes a die hard boater that lets nothing stop him. <br /><br />They do seem to be a very seaworthy boat, lots of freeboard, and a fair amount of beam. The high transom height should give adequate protection in a following sea, and the light wieght should give adequate performance from 120 horsepower.<br /><br />What sort of fuel economy should I expect under normal cruise, 2500 - 3000 RPM? (average conditions)

Bondo

Staff member

From My experince, My little 4cyl was Working Hard All the time... a $30. day was Not uncommon.....<br />With the 4.3LX, it Never breaks a sweat.... For the last 4 seasons, After an 18hour day, the Most I've been able to put in the tank was $24.00.......<br />I've yet to be able to use an 18 gallon tank Full in a single day........

RainMan302v8

Cadet

That sounds reasonable to me, the V-6 does sound like the better choice, but if the I-4 is sound, it will certainly suffice.<br /><br />What was top speed with the 4?

Bondo

Staff member

28/30mph

geomarq

Cadet

I have a 21' Chiefton that's been converted to a c.c. - new floor, transom, the works... The i/o was replaced with a 90HP outboard and I'm very happy with it. I took it out about 20 times last year (ocean fishing only) and it handles the seas well. My only complaint is she "dances" way too much. I'm sure this is due to a combination of her low weight and the rolling seas, but I'm looking into thosee self adjusting trim tabs come springtime. Otherwise, with proper care & maintenance, it should last a long time for you.

Bondo

Staff member

I Loved that link.... I've been down All of those roads......<br />geomarq, I couldn't Agree More...<br /> "My only complaint is she "dances" way too much." <br />Ya,!! Trolling Into the wind, with planer boards out 75' or more on each side, is Not an Easy Task....<br /><br />I put Bennett Tabs on mine.......<br />It made All the Difference.... It's like the boat is 3' Longer.....

jimmer4444

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1965 Chieftain that I bought three years ago with dual axle trailer for $750.The first season I did nothing to it but put in gas..the second season I decided since the only room to stand in the boat was in the rear deck,I removed the top and moved all the controls to the front ,added a different windshield fromn another donor boat and loved the difference.Now it's like a bowling alley,so much room,this spring I'm removing the 4 cyl (which ran excellent) and I'm replacing it with another donor 6 cyl.By moving controls to the front.the boat comes right up on plane and runs excellent.this year with the 6 cyl.it should run even better.Best boat I ever owned!!

Bondo

Staff member

jimmer4444,<br />Starcraft Builds the hull in the Same configuration that you turned yours Into........<br />It's called the "Holiday"......

RainMan302v8

Cadet

I don't mind it dancing as long as it doesnt leak and makes it back to the dock. Gluvit or the tank sealer seems like a worthwhile preventative measure, and the waterproof rivets are a great idea.