starcraft aluminum ss paint job

jerkoz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ready to paint,all holes,nicks filled and sanded.going to prime first, but unsure of what grade wet sandpaper to use? paint on the boat is actually pretty good considering the age (1985).changing the color from a creamy yellowish to a semi-gloss white.what number of wet paper should i use to sand before priming,(to rough up the surface) and what number of paper in between the primer and the first coat of paint? plan on putting(2) coats of semi-gloss. am also going to paint a navy blue stripe over the white to duplicate the original decal that was on the boat.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: starcraft aluminum ss paint job

Hi jerkoz. 220 grit paper is usually sufficient to remove the old, loose paint and anything higher is fine to use btwn coats. After you've sanded the hull, you'll then want to wipe the hull down with Acetone or a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. After it dries fully, apply a light coating of Zinc Chormate Self-Etching primer. Let dry, then add your top coat(s). There are lots of brands, but lots of folks have luck with good 'ol Rustoelum aerosol aluminum/metal paint. Do a search here in the forums for "Roll and Tip" method of painting.

Check this link out too. It's amazing what you can do with a few cans of paint and < $100!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=384982&page=10&p=3302799#post3302799

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How many boats are you painting, Jerkoz??

Please use ONE thread to deal with ONE project.

jerkoz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

am going to use rustoleum top coat from the can and going to roll & tip. p.s., thanks for the usefull information

jerkoz

Petty Officer 2nd Class

one boat ! i thought i posted one question?? one about painting the boat and painting a duplicate stripe on the same boat!