Starcraft 3.0 to diesel conversion

Logie74

Recruit
I am kinda new to boating. I have a 24' pontoon.... starcraft Orion 241 i/o with 3.0 mercruiser alpha 1 gen 2 drive. Bad motor (dropped valve and ruined block) and have been toying around with a diesel. About 100# heavier but I figure I can relocate 30 gal fuel tank and compensate for the extra weight in back. We are not going dor speed but something just for pudding around the lake in TN. No need to go over 20-25ish mph. Any thoughts? I am looking at 105 HP 220 torque GM engine. 3200 rpm sustainable red lines at 4000. Any input?

matt167

Captain
I'm 90% sure your talking about the Olds diesel ( used by most of GM for a short time ). A converted Rocket 350. One of the most unreliable diesels ever produced... It will have a BOP bellhousing and you will never find manifolds for it.. It's not a good idea if it was feasable.

A used 3.0L costs only what a rotted boat does

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I am kinda new to boating. I have a 24' pontoon.... starcraft Orion 241 i/o with 3.0 mercruiser alpha 1 gen 2 drive. Bad motor (dropped valve and ruined block) and have been toying around with a diesel. About 100# heavier but I figure I can relocate 30 gal fuel tank and compensate for the extra weight in back. We are not going dor speed but something just for pudding around the lake in TN. No need to go over 20-25ish mph. Any thoughts? I am looking at 105 HP 220 torque GM engine. 3200 rpm sustainable red lines at 4000. Any input?
if it isnt a marine diesel with marine manifolds, etc dont even consider it.

if you are talking any of the GM auto diesels from the 70's or 80's, a simple perkins marine diesel will not only be 1/3 the weight, it would be reliable

ahicks

Captain
Part of my consideration for the likes of a diesel conversion, would HAVE to include thoughts of a 4 stroke outboard conversion.

SUPER popular among the pontoon crowd, the only way to appreciate the 4 stroke plan is to experience it.......

Mechmagcn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Part of my consideration for the likes of a diesel conversion, would HAVE to include thoughts of a 4 stroke outboard conversion.

SUPER popular among the pontoon crowd, the only way to appreciate the 4 stroke plan is to experience it.......
I fully agree with this. I repowered an '89 Bass Buggy from a 2 stroke 60HP to a 4 stroke 40HP and picked up 2MPH while cutting my fuel use in half.