starcraft 1966 Jetstar?

Margaret B

Recruit
Hi All,
I am considering buying a Jetstar from someone, and he is going to take me out in it this weekend. What do I need to look for? Price is currently $1200, which includes the 20 HP outboard and the trailer. The paint is faded on the top. Hull looks pretty good to me, but I don't know what to look for. The seats are in okay shape. The man says it runs fine but he doesn't know if the lights work. The motor sounds really loud (he ran it for me in a bucket of water). Looks like a 1966 Jetstar. The deck is covered in carpet.
Thanks,
Margaret

bananaboater

Ensign
Re: starcraft 1966 Jetstar?

Where to start? Prices can vary by area of country. West coast more than east or central. The motor is small if it is a Jet Star. Max is 50 hp. I would not go below 40hp. Walk on the floor, feel for soft spots, they will feel spongy. I cannot comment on the engine noise, not enough experience.

Most of us that buy these older ones do quite a bit to bring them back to life.

I think the price is high from your description. Good luck others will probably follow with more advice.

Take a look at my photobucket to see what I am doing to my Jet.

Albert

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: starcraft 1966 Jetstar?

What brand and year is the motor? I agree with Albert that it probably too small. However, if it's newer, you may be able to trade up without too much out of pocket. They are cool hulls.