Starboard cooling well, port side getting hot.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
'95 E-rude 130 E130TXAOR Motor is coming along well thanks to all you guys help. It is my first dual head motor. I haven't let the port head trigger the overheat alarm yet, but she is getting much hotter than the starboard side, running in a bucket. My water hose was not delivering ample water flow.

Compression of motor is great, 135 in all cylinders.

Anyways, I put an OMC waterpump kit in and the telltale is flowing very well. Before I put the LU back on, I ran a waterhose up the copper tube until I saw water coming out of the telltale. Pulled both thermostats and changed them. I changed the diaphram on the starboard side, but the one on port looked good (and all I had was one diaphram on hand.) Do you guys think that an older diaphram (that seems functional) is the culprit here? Should I pull the thermo again and try and flush water down into the coolant passage? I am stumped here.

I know that taking it to the lake and opening up the throttle would help to clear her out and get a better picture, but I am apprehensive to take her out quite yet.

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
yes that could be it, if you bought a couple of those less than a dollar gaskets you could swap them over and see if the problem changes side

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Thanks Bos, I feel like I should have you over for some coffee. Hahahaha. The old diaphram is stuck to the block so if I pull it it will be game over. I am going to get another diaphram, then swap the stats and see how that goes. Too bad the dealer won't have the part until Friday. I was hoping to go on a sea trial on Friday.

Sure hope there isnt a blockage in the motor. The old waterpump was whole, so I doubt there is a blockage anywhere. Good thing is I think this is my final issue to get sorted out.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
No Title

Hahaha, I hear ya. Id love to visit New Zealand it sounds beautiful from what I hear.

Also guys, lookie what I found, figured Id share in case anyone wants to know. Looks like one of the simplest flow paths I have seen.

Attachments

• photo223141.png
    photo223141.png
    174.6 KB · Views: 0

sutor623

Rear Admiral
DUDES!!!!!! So I think I have figured this thing out. Let me go ahead and say, first thing you should do in this case is buy a $20 infrared thermometer!!!

Here's a bit of background info. I got this motor off a good friend who parked the boat 5 years ago. The service tech put in a new powerpack because of an ignition issue. Well, I noticed that I had a pretty severe misfire, so I pulled the powerpack up to see this.

That blue wire was pinched with a nut and was grounding out!!. I clipped the wire, soldered and heat shrinked it back together, and it seems that the miss cleared.

What I found out, is that my port head is NOT overheating. My starboard head is UNDERHEATING!!! I realized this after buying an IR thermometer and once I fixed the blue wire the temp in the starboard head was getting hotter. I let the motor warm up and run for 15-20 minutes in a bucket with fresh water coming in from the hose. The port head surface temperature stayed from 135-143 degrees the ENTIRE time!!! The starboard head warmed up just a bit slower, and stayed at the same range, but one time right after I cut the motor off it dropped down to 112 degrees and the port side was still at 135. Odd right?

I am thinking that even though the motor was only run with the blue wire grounded out for a limited time, it may have shorted something out and created and intermittent issue. The wire going to the powerpack is hooked up from the stator. SO, I think I have lost a bank. Cylinders 1 and 3. I am going to put a DVA meter on the motor on friday. I checked resistance of the stator and trigger all checked out. I am going to have to wait until the starboard cylinder starts to run cooler, and then isolate the issue with my DVA meter.

What do you guys think about my hypothesis/findings?

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
yes any bare wire grounding out will cause an issue. I thought you said the miss was fixed so whats the issue now?
I wouldnt worry about the difference in temp after its turned off, who knows what bank keeps water in it longer as it drains

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Well, the miss cleared, but the motor still seems to "stumble" here and there. I think the only thing to do now is get her out on the lake and see how she runs under load. I appreciate all of your time and help on the matter. I'll let ya know how she does. Stay warm!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
you might have a slight lean carb and need to back out the needle valve on the responsible carb a touch.
yes its a bit nippy but the girlfriends up tomorrow:target:

sutor623

Rear Admiral
And great idea about the carb situation. I didnt even think of that.