Stalls at Idle

skynyrdcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Stalls at Idle

I know you said the plugs are not fouled, but do you see any differences in the plugs...
Some wetter than others?

Are they old plugs (don't remember what you said about them)?
Are they all the same color around the electrode?

Did you do a spark test on the wires only or did you test the plugs?

TonyD20

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, all the plugs look the same, same color, none wetter than the other, etc... I put these plugs in (NGK's) in at the end of last summer as it was recommended by someone who said, "don't ever use Champions on these engines". Only for another suggestion where somebody said, only use Champion recommended plugs in this engine. But that said, I've changed the plugs at least twice over the course of this problem..

I did a spark test on the wires only, not on the plugs....

skynyrdcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

and you were able to get the idle adjusted as described above?

TonyD20

Seaman Apprentice

No, I did not adjust the idle as it seems the only idle adjustment is a slight timing adjustment. Other than that, there is no real idle adjustment (air/mixture adj.) and it would seem to be now more as a bandaid fix to the stalling at idle issue.

skynyrdcat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like the flux capacitor, they're about $1,200 on ebay
just kiddin, but since I have your attention, I'd seriously consider some carb cleaning first and foremost (that's just the way I am, I belive that good clean carbs are the stongest foundation for a good running engine).
That doesn't quite explain the plug wire removal performance you noted above though.
A leak down test could provide some more info on the internals.

search the forums for "leak down testing" to get some valuable info.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You might want to check your shift assist switch because it is probably at least part of the problem.

First try running with it disconnected to see if things are improved. Then make sure that it is properly placed so it does not cut out your three cylinders when you don't want it to.

TonyD20

Seaman Apprentice

shift assist.. I am not sure I know what that is...

Tony D.

TonyD20

Seaman Apprentice

You might want to check your shift assist switch because it is probably at least part of the problem.

First try running with it disconnected to see if things are improved. Then make sure that it is properly placed so it does not cut out your three cylinders when you don't want it to.

I tried doing a search for shift assist switch on here and it looks like it has something to do with the kill switch? If that's so, how would the engine run with the kill switch disconected.. ? Am I getting this somewhat right?

TonyD20

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like the flux capacitor, they're about $1,200 on ebay
just kiddin, but since I have your attention, I'd seriously consider some carb cleaning first and foremost (that's just the way I am, I belive that good clean carbs are the stongest foundation for a good running engine).
That doesn't quite explain the plug wire removal performance you noted above though.
A leak down test could provide some more info on the internals.

search the forums for "leak down testing" to get some valuable info.

yep, I did a search on this as well.. I found some pros and cons on doing this test on a 2 stroke but interesting for sure.. I'll see if I can gte my hands on something to hld that flywheel and a tester...

I DO agree with you though, a good clean carb (especially when you have 6 of them) will decrease your chances of headache...

thanks for your reply...

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Try doing a search on "shift interrupt" switch.

The point is simple: any time you shift out of gear under load, the shift interrupt switch cuts off one bank of your cylinders by grounding out half the powerpack.

If the switch is not aligned properly, which sometimes happens, it can cut off half your cylinders at the wrong time.

TonyD20

Seaman Apprentice

The point is simple: any time you shift out of gear under load, the shift interrupt switch cuts off one bank of your cylinders by grounding out half the powerpack.

If the switch is not aligned properly, which sometimes happens, it can cut off half your cylinders at the wrong time.

Wow! very informative. I didn't know about this... will research this some more and get back.. Thanks again, everyone, very much appreciated!

Tony D.

TonyD20

Seaman Apprentice

hey, ezeke, I tried looking for this switch/cable last night and also took a look in my service manual. I can't seem to locate it.. would you know where I might be able to find it or what it would look like?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The switch is on the starboard side of the engine placed so that the shift lever can depress it. It has a black and yellow kill wire running to the starboard side of your power pack.

The switch and cable harness is shown as part # 76 on the Cylinder and Crankcase diagram for your specific motor. You can find it and all of the diagrams for your engine at the BRP parts store: http://shop.evinrude.com/

Just go to the upper right hand corner and click on "Electronic Parts Catalog"

Attachments

• Shift Assist Switch.JPG
    Shift Assist Switch.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 0

TonyD20

Seaman Apprentice

I still can't find this switch, I must be a dunce. I might not be looking in the right place but I took some pictures so you can see where I am looking...

rude175.jpg

rude175_2.jpg

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

That's the front of the motor. The starboard side is your right side when standing behind the engine facing the bow. We use the terms starboard and port rather than right or left because the starboard side of a boat never changes no matter what direction you face.

Follow the shift cable to the lever that it controls. The switch is just behind it.