Stalling, limp mode and cranking without starting

Hi all. New to the forum but long time boater and generally pretty handy.

We bought a new to us, 2004 Four Winns Vista 288 this spring and have been slowly going through it. It's super clean and both engines only had 461 hours when we picked it up. We have twin 2004 VP 5.0 GXi-E (3869255) with DP drives. I've always had outboards or Mercruiser I/O's so I'm learning the nuances (parts cost!) of the VPs.

When we got the boat, both fuel cells were weak so I replaced them along with the alternator on the port engine, which is recently started making gimbal/u joint noises. FUN!

Anyway... I could use some help diagnosing a new stalling and starting issue. A week or so ago, I was towing a tube with a 4 big adults on board (around 2200 rpms) and the port engine cut out. No stuttering, coughing or signs of an issue (gauges were all reading normal) and no alarms. When we stopped and I cycled the key, there were no beeps and it wouldn't fire. It cranked, but wouldn't catch. I smelled a bit of fuel, so I put it in neutral and opened the throttle all the way to stop the injectors thinking maybe it was flooded. No dice. The next morning, it fired and ran fine all day.

The next time, I was out, it ran fine on the way out, but on the way back in after idling for a bit, I couldn't get it to rev past 2200 rpms. It's like I was in a limp mode or something. The next day, it was fine again.

I replaced both batteries earlier this week, because a load test showed only 1/4 of the rated cranking amps at full charge. We took it out and everything seemed like it was okay. We were clipping along around 3500 rpms and then the port engine died. Again, the gauges were all reading normal and there were no warning signs or alerts. Brought it to a stop and tried to start it. It cranked with gusto, but wouldn't catch. I cycled the key and didn't get typical two beeps. Checked the fuel pump while we were on the water by disconnecting the high and then low power plugs and they both cycled independently and together. Cycled the key again and heard the beeps, but still wouldn't catch.

Rather than me just throwing parts at it, does anyone have a suggestion where to start?

Thanks in advance!

alldodge

Staff member
Your loosing power, check the kill switch and key switch. Check for corrosion on engine harness

Largest problem is you need it to be in the no beep mode to find where the power loss is

Thanks QBhoy and @AllDodge.

I went down to the boat last night and it fired right up without me doing anything to it. Idled smooth and ran fine.

I checked all of the connections at the key, engine harness, battery and engine ground wires (there is no kill switch or lanyard at the helm) but they all seemed tight and clean. For giggles, I took them apart and reassembled with dielectric grease.

Fired up and ran smooth. Took it for a ride and same thing; port motor cut out while coming back in.

I'm wondering if it's the ignition coil? Maybe, it's on it's way out and when it gets hot it dies? When it cools off, it works again? Thoughts?

alldodge

Staff member
In most cases its hardly never the coil. It might be your main power relay. I would get a 12V resistor type LED and connect it to the + side of the coil and ground. When the ignition is ON the LED will light, when the engine dies see if the light is still lit

Thanks AllDodge. I have a spare relay in the box, so I swapped them. Lets see if that does it. If not, I'll test to see if the coil is getting power when the engine dies.

Took it out for about an hour today and it stayed lit. Hopefully that was it, but I won't say it solved until I've used it a bit more.

alldodge

Staff member
Took it out for about an hour today and it stayed lit. Hopefully that was it, but I won't say it solved until I've used it a bit more.

Gremlins are sneaky, they lay low when they know your ready, then let down your guard and they come back :rolleyes: