Stalling issue....Please help!

gregstukey

Seaman
OMC Cobra 5.0. She's been stalling lately. Just out of the blue she will cut out. at low rpms and even at WOT. There's no spuddering or hesitation. Its difficult to get it started again once she does stall. I usually wait a few seconds and then she'll start again. She just cuts and I was wondering if you guys might point me in the direction of where to start to diagnose this problem.

Thanks!
-Greg

-ps- The battery did not pass a load test and im wondering if this has anything to do with it. But once the motor is started the battery has little to do with the engine running right?

Uraijit

Banned
Re: Stalling issue....Please help!

It's possible that you've got too much load on the electrical system for the alternator to keep up. Seems like your battery has to be holding a charge if you're able to crank the engine again after the stall, so that's probably not your problem.

I'd check the usual culprits, like fuel system problems, a faulty coil, etc. When was the last time the engine got a full tune-up?

When the engine stalls try having someone give the throttle a full push forward, while you look at the carb with the flame arrestor off. When they pump the throttle forward, do you see a squirt of gas shoot onto the venturies? If not, your fuel bowls might be dry, and you should look at a fuel delivery issue.

If you're still getting fuel, are you getting spark? Pull the coil wire from the distributor, and stick a screwdriver in it. Set it so that the metal of the screwdriver is close to the block, and crank the engine. Do you see sparks?

Try pulling the plugs, and looking at them. Do they appear to be fouled?