Stainless or alu for a swim platform?

Juel-dk

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All :)

I wanne build a swim platform for my Stingray 556zpx in this spring, but im wondering what would be best for a frame, stainless og aluminium tubeing?
My boat lays in saltwater all summer.
Wouldn't aluminium just start to corrode?

I was thinking of using wood covered with fiberglass, as deck inside the frame.

What do you think?

Kind regards
Morten
Denmark

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Stainless or alu for a swim platform?

Both will last, Stainless will look better longer, but will eventually rust in salt environment. most just use 2 triangular brackets, and bolt their wood platform to the brackets, not having a metal frame. just 5/4 x 6 spaced 1/4 inch apart, well varnished teak would be really nice.

jlaudio29

Cadet

go with aluminum and have it powdercoated any color you want, it will be sturdy and lightweight.

i will be building me one of these:
http://www.skyjac.com/swim_platforms.html

probably in the next few weeks once i get my income tax back in, materials will probably cost me about, $250 mabe less, it will be pretty much an exact replica of one of those you see in the pics. full tig welded aluminum, never fear you know ill be making a post about it with lots of pics! :-D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

word of warning that aluminum gets hot. wood deck is the way to go. the ladies, don't like their tushy scorched.

Juel-dk

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, thanks for your answers :) I think ill make it in wood covered in glassfiber, and make some rods and brackets under neath, either in aluminium or stainless.. I wont make the whole thing of metal, it would get to hot.. :(

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

go with aluminum and have it powdercoated any color you want, it will be sturdy and lightweight.

i will be building me one of these:
http://www.skyjac.com/swim_platforms.html

probably in the next few weeks once i get my income tax back in, materials will probably cost me about, $250 mabe less, it will be pretty much an exact replica of one of those you see in the pics. full tig welded aluminum, never fear you know ill be making a post about it with lots of pics! :-D

Instead of powdercoating, that would be a good candidate for Line-Ex bedliner. Kinda grippy and won't chip. Can get it virtually any color.
Probaly equal in cost to powdercoating.

jlaudio29

Cadet

fiberglass get hot too :-D to each his own though.

line-x isnt a bad idea, not sure if ive ever felt the actual brand line-x but various other brands that ive seen, seem to have a harsh feel to them something you wouldnt want your bare feet or behind to be on. will definatly look more into that i know auto parts store sell a do-it-yourself bed liner kit.