Stained pontoon seats

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I bought new seats and covered them individually but didn't use the boat for a couple of years. I just pulled the seat covers off and the seats have a lot of spots and stains on them. I mean all of the seats. The captains seat, the fishing seats and the furniture too. Any tips on how to make the seats look better and also any ideas on how to keep this form happening to them again? I really thought that boat seat covers would work better than this.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
shopping
Try this stuff. Spray it on, let it sit, then rinse with a hose. Works pretty well if the spots you are referring to are mildew.

Any time a boats covered for extended periods, you'll have moisture cause issues. you can try enclosing moisture removing packets under the covers...but if it is only individual seat covers, that may be tough. Every winter when I wrap my boat up, I include 2 or 3 canisters to collect moisture under the cover.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks ThomW I think that most of the spots are mildew. I will try that Starbrite as soon as I can get some. I will try something between the covers and the seats the next time. I know that other people have had problems with stained seats and I was afraid that the only answer I would get would be to "search for it yourself". You may have saved me a ton of time and work. Thanks again.

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer
Totally Awesome. My wife picks it up at the dollar store. Pretty inexpensive. Amazon reviews has a really good testimonial on boat seats.

I got fiberglass resin on one of my boat seats. A lot of resin. I immediately cleaned it with acetone. It didn’t do anything. I spied it down and that didn’t help. The next day I was cleaning some grease off the sun pad and thought I’d try it on the resin. Sprayed it on and the resin just wiped away. I’ve never seen anything like it.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Sparky I use the Totally Awesome when I clean my RV. I think I still have some on hand. Although it might be better to buy some fresh to make sure that it hasn't got weak from sitting. Started using the Starbrite on the captains chair and the seat behind it. It did a good job. I still have to do the long pontoon furniture seat-- couch thing. After I hosed down the two seats that I cleaned today I took the hose to the deck. I replaced the old decking with marine plywood and rubberized paint a couple of years ago. Then I shimmed the side rails up so everything washes off of the deck with a good stream of water. I still have to pull the boat down the driveway away from my neighbors window and make sure the motor will run. A lot of work getting a boat going after it sits for a few years.