stabilizer question

brianis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
so i took my 58 starcraft fiberglass runabout out today and i notice a bayliner inboard/outboard next to me running the same speed. his boat is riding much smoother say a cadillac to a model t so my question is does a say hydrofoil smooth out the ride seems like when im going faster the boat doesnt stay level and i can feel the water hitting mostly at my feet so assuming the bow is bouncing off the water makes it a horrible ride dont even want to go that fast because it is uncomfortable and feels unstable will a hydrofoil of some kind help this. Let alone when the water is hitting that hard afraid my 54 yr old boat is gonna cave in

Bondo

Staff member
Re: stabilizer question

so i took my 58 starcraft fiberglass runabout out today and i notice a bayliner inboard/outboard next to me running the same speed. his boat is riding much smoother say a cadillac to a model t so my question is does a say hydrofoil smooth out the ride seems like when im going faster the boat doesnt stay level and i can feel the water hitting mostly at my feet so assuming the bow is bouncing off the water makes it a horrible ride dont even want to go that fast because it is uncomfortable and feels unstable will a hydrofoil of some kind help this. Let alone when the water is hitting that hard afraid my 54 yr old boat is gonna cave in

Ayuh,.... Little boats always ride rougher than a bigger boat,....

It sounds like yer hull is planin' properly,...

A hydro-foil will only push the bow down, causing more drag, slowin' ya down....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I can attest to this. I have a 15 ft 61' vintage runabout and unless you're in a Cove and it's a glassy surface, she'll beat you up pretty good.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I can attest to this. I have a 15 ft 61' vintage runabout and unless you're in a Cove and it's a glassy surface, she'll beat you up pretty good.

Hang a 150 on that thing Woody, get her up on top of the water, she'll smooth out....:eek:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I see twins in your future, that baby is just crying for them!!
My hope is the extra weight and power will help with the ride. And if it won't she will only come out on those kinds of days.