st. Peter's fish.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
After seeing the very large response of pious members to another thread I started,I'd like to share a little piece of info with you.<br />You have probably heard about or eaten Tilapia (gen Tilapia zili).What you may not know is that this is the species that is very widely caught in the Sea of Galilee since man went out and fished there.In Israel it is called St. Peter's fish.(it does have a different hebrew name)<br />Next time you go to the supermarket to buy some fish and you see those tilapia laying in the cooler,you may want to consider that.<br />Funny, while I am typing this I can smell them being prepared in the kitchen.

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: st. Peter's fish.

rolmops, is that what the Jewish make Gefilte with? I have studied some on the Jewish customs and things, but I am by no means knowledgeable on such. I love to learn about religion and that just seems like it would fall into studying the bible and learning since Hebrew....well, enough said. IMHO :D

NOSLEEP

Commander

Pious... good grief. Don't puff yourself up to<br />much. You may fall off your perch.

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

pi·ous adj.<br /> <br />Having or exhibiting religious reverence; earnestly compliant in the observance of religion; devout. <br /> <br />Professing or exhibiting a strict, traditional sense of virtue and morality.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

No we do not.Actually gefilte fish is a custom that was taken up in Poland in the sixteen hundreds as a poor man's dish.It is made with whitefish like carp and pike.Here in the USA walleye is becoming very popular to make this dish with.<br />I think tilapia is much too good and should not be wasted on gefillte fish.<br />Nosleep,I will do my best and ride that perch!!

NOSLEEP

Commander

Pious... springing from actual or pretended<br />religious devotion or moral motives. seemingly<br />virtuous; affecting virtue hypocritically.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Easy there, folks.<br /><br />Let's not get into name calling.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Darn it,I was writing about fish!!!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Well, there is monk fish.<br />But seriously, pious has nothing to do with fish. It is a word in the english language.<br />Let's keep quarrels in the presidential election threads and let enjoying good food be in this one.

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

you go ahead rolmops....we can continue on with the fish & food and let NOSLEEP figure out why he is so offended by who is pious and who isn't.<br /><br />Can you tell me how the Jewish make communion bread? And does Matzah Ball Soup really have any taste to it?

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks NOSLEEP, but it's not a perch I stand on...<br />it's my bible. :D

Link

Rear Admiral

rolmops<br />Wow, spendy little bugger. Eight to Ten bucks (american) a pound! Not being much of a fish eater I think even I would like this Raspberry Tilapia recipe.<br /><br />Funny, never even heard of it until this post and thinking of trying tomorrow evening with MIL and Mrs.Link<br /><br />Take a look<br /><br />Raspberry Tilapia<br />Submitted by: Darlene<br /> "Tilapia, which is a farm raised fish, can make even the non fish lover take notice. Great sweet taste and no fishy smell! Best of all it's on your table in 40 minutes." Original recipe yield: 4 servings. <br /> <br /> <br /><br />INGREDIENTS:<br />4 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia (bream) <br />1/4 cup olive oil <br />1/4 cup raspberry vinegar <br />1/4 cup honey <br />1 teaspoon yellow mustard <br />1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed <br /><br />DIRECTIONS:<br />1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 11x7 inch baking dish. <br />2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together the olive oil, raspberry vinegar, honey, mustard and dill weed. <br />3. Arrange the tilapia filets in a single layer in the prepared baking dish. Pour mixture over the fish filets, coating the filets evenly. <br />4. Bake in a preheated oven, uncovered for 20 minutes or until fish is flaky with a fork.<br /><br />Here is the url link<br /> http://seafood.allrecipes.com/AZ/RspbrryTilpi.asp

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Mrs soulwinner,I presume you are referring to the special bread made for the sabbath.You throw me for a loop there.I am an expert in eating it,but baking it really is my wife's specialty.<br />Here is the recipee from a cookbook called: <br />"The Way To A Man's Heart" Which was published in 1936 and was given to my wife by her grandmother for her 18th birthday.(she did not know whether to scream or say thank you)Anyway here goes.<br /><br />Challah (braided white bread)<br />6 table spoons of shortening<br />1 1/2 cups scalded water or milk<br />2 tablespoons of sugar<br />2 tablespoons salt<br /><br />2 cakes compressed yeast<br />1/2 cup lukewarm water<br />3 eggs<br />about 7 cups sifted all-purpose flour.<br /><br />Melt shortening in scalded water or milk (or potato water if desired). Pour into a large mixing bowl. Add sugar and salt and let cool to lukewarm.Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water and let stand for a little while.Then mix in eggs,but reserve one yolk for the tops of the breads.Add egg and yeast mixture to the liquid mixture.Mix well and stir in 4 cups of flour,then 3 cups of flour. Turn out on a floured board and knead until smooth and elastic,about 5 minutes.Place in a greased large bowl.Oil top of dough with a little melted shortening to keep dough from drying.Cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm place until double in bulk, about one or two hours.Punch down.Divide into 3 parts.Divide each part into 3 more parts and braid into 3 loaves.Place each braided loaf in a loaf pan.Mix the eggyolk that was reserved with one tablespoon of cold water,and with a pastry brush spread over the loafs.Sprinkle with poppy seed if desired,and set aside to rise again (about one hour).<br />Bake in moderate oven(375F.)about forty five minutes to an hour,or until loaves sound hollow when tapped and are slightly browned.<br />Yield three loaves and possibly a husband(It was the chocolat chip cookies that did me in)<br /><br />Does matzaball soup have any taste to it?<br />It really is just chicken soup with matza balls floating in it.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Come to think of it.Maybe you should try these fish and bread recipees and eat them while looking out over a lake.

Mrs Soulwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

rolmops....thanks so much for the recipe. I put forth the effort every week for the Sabbath, but don't get it every time. I will enjoy making the bread. Even more so, eating it. :D

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

Rolmops,<br /><br />I had the pleasure of eating at a Jewish deli in Akron, Oh several years ago. The pickles and corned beef was nearly beyond belief. Sad to say there are no genuine delis of this style where I live.<br /><br />How is gefillte made? Is it pickeled or what?<br /><br />Have seen it in bottles at the local supermarket and have wanted to try it but did not want to buy an entire bottle to find out that I did not care for it. Can you describe the flavor/texture?<br /><br />Parrott_head

spratt

Lieutenant

rolmops, I have seen tilapia here in teh stores become pretty popular lately, but had never heardof it so didn't / wouldn't buy any...now that you have posted this I am going to try some out. Thanks!!!

LadyFish

Admiral

Tilapia is very mild and is good in just about any recipe.<br /><br />I never read about its history before, very interesting.