Squeal/Squeak Sound When Turning Left

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi All - I have a 1994 Formula 252 with a Mercruiser 7.4/Bravo 3. Engine runs great, but when the boat is up on plane, I hear a pretty distinct squealing sound at certain points. When turning the steering wheel at any speed besides idle, the noise is the loudest. When I quickly jerk the wheel to the right on plane, I sometimes hear it but definitely not as loud. Turning right slowly doesn't make any noise. I also hear the noise when raising the trim after the boat comes up on plane. Any idea what might be causing the noise? It seems to sound like a combination of a squeal and a whistling noise. Can take a video next time I'm on the boat if needed. I'd like to avoid just replacing parts until it goes away, so any guidance would be helpful as a place to start looking. Thanks, Greg

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Not higly familiar with your engine -- but Could it be related to the fan belt , belt tension-er etc

tpenfield

Staff member
+1 on checking the belt tightness. Being a 1994, I assume it has v-belts not the serpentine belt.

greg82255

Thanks for the suggestion - yes it is a v-belt. I thought it seemed pretty tight but will give it another look. If it turns out the belts are ok, is there another place to look next? And if it were the belts, any idea why it would be much worse when turning left than right?

Bondo

Staff member
And if it were the belts, any idea why it would be much worse when turning left than right?

Ayuh,..... The p/s pump,.....

Belts not only have to be tight, but must be ridin' on the sides of the pulleys, not bottomed out in the center,.....

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Agree with p/s thoughts. Might not hurt to throw a new belt on, they are pretty cheap. Take old one and try to get numbers off it for length but worst case, most auto parts stores can measure it.

like bondo said, if its worn down from slipping it might not be contacting on the sides anymore and it won't matter how tight you make it.

greg82255

Thank you both - I'll replace the belts and see what happens. Hopefully that does the trick but - will report back either way.