squeaky leaf springs

jworks

Cadet
I have a Venture boat trailer, 15 years old, very squeaky leaf springs. Every small bump, even driving over my yard to park the boat I hear the leaf springs squeaking. If I climb up in the boat the springs squeak. I've sprayed WD40, still squeaks. I need a permanent or at least semi-permanent solution.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
When was the last time the spring bushings where changed?
Are they even there?

jworks

Cadet
dingbat, I have no idea. I bought it used 2 years ago.
Is changing the bushings a big hassle?

jworks

Cadet
OK. Thanks. I"think" the bushings can be bought from the trailer mfg. I suppose I'll have to jack the boat up somehow to get the weight off.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
OK. Thanks. I"think" the bushings can be bought from the trailer mfg. I suppose I'll have to jack the boat up somehow to get the weight off.
Bushing come in standard sizes. Figure out what you need and order from a trailer parts supplier.

Just jack the frame to get the load off each spring. Do one side at a time

Reactions: T/O

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Venture boat trailer, 15 years old, very squeaky leaf springs. Every small bump, even driving over my yard to park the boat I hear the leaf springs squeaking. If I climb up in the boat the springs squeak. I've sprayed WD40, still squeaks. I need a permanent or at least semi-permanent solution.
Great responses above. Note that WD40 is not a lubricant. It's primarily for displacing water, hence the WD. Try Boeshield T9 on the springs. It leaves a wax coating that helps prevent corrosion.

jworks

Cadet
Great responses above. Note that WD40 is not a lubricant. It's primarily for displacing water, hence the WD. Try Boeshield T9 on the springs. It leaves a wax coating that helps prevent corrosion.
Thanks Horigan. The springs are already rusted; prior owner used in salt water a lot. But I did scrub them best I could with a wire brush to get any loose stuff the brush would remove, then coated them with cold galvanizing spray. Of course its not possible to get in between the leafs. Some of the cold galvaninzing spray has come off already. The springs are rusted, yet I think they are thick enough steel that they still have a lot of life in them (my opinion). I'll get the Boeshield T9 and try it. I think ding is probably right though - its probably the bushings thats causing all the squeaking.

robert graham

Admiral
Over the years whenever I’m packing my wheel bearings, I gob the old/ extra grease on the leaf springs and shackles and it lubricates them and protects them from corrosion….it stays on there forever….works good!

jworks

Cadet
Over the years whenever I’m packing my wheel bearings, I gob the old/ extra grease on the leaf springs and shackles and it lubricates them and protects them from corrosion….it stays on there forever….works good!
Robert are you using the type grease that comes in a can that you dig out with your fingers? Or the kind that comes in a tube that inserts into a grease gun?

jworks

Cadet
Well, I have to admit to everyone that has responded faithfully and honestly that I may have made a stupid, stupid mistake, and just maybe was too hasty to look for the bad in things. Not to mention my embarrassment in front of you guys. I let the bushings sit overnight after spraying them with penetrating spray and bathed them heavily with white lithium grease today. When I went back out there I noticed a squeak when I grabbed the fender. Come to find out all the bolts that mount the fenders to the small steel step plates were not tight enough. I'm thinking now that is where I think most or all of the squeaking was. We'll see next time I hook up to go out. How stupid of me. Confession is good for the soul though, and I thank you all. Color me feeling dumb.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Confession is good for the soul though, and I thank you all. Color me feeling dumb.
No worries, we've all done the opposite of what should be done. If ya aint learning ya aint working. I tend to call it experience.

jworks

Cadet
bruceb58, just looking at the pics I'm guessing thats brass. I've heard brass is often used and doesn't squeak. Ahh, and it has grease fittings too ! Good info, thanks. My trailer is single axle though, but it does have those shackles. If it turns out I need to, I'll look further on etrailer.