Springbok Information + Lots Of Pics & Transom Q's

cprince

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking to restore and reinforce the transom of a 14 foot Springbok that I traded for my restored fiberglass. I found the ID plate put on upside down and I am a little suspicious that it is not the original plate. It says that the max HP on this rig is 7.5 HP. Does this make sense?! A 14 foot? I admit that it looks like an extremely light boat, I would have thought that it would be able to take a 15hp!

I am looking all over the net trying to find some info about Springbok boats and coming up empty! This boat *looks* like, to me, that it is from the late 60s or early 70s. It has a nice, although faded, Springbok logo with the critters horned head on it (Looks a little like my Impala logo on my Chev). I will snap a couple of shots of it when the rain lets up a little.

CRP

cprince

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Springbok Information?

Here is a pic of it (From my front step as it is raining quite a bit!)
spring002qj0.jpg

my.php

cprince

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am also trying to figure out why there are chunks of tires bolted to the inside of the front part of the boat. Both sides.

:confused:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

who knows, may a previous owner carried it on a topper or stored it unside down. it does not have a lot of gunnel bracking, the main structure is the seats, and the seam that runs the length of the boat.

cprince

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you suspect that the 7.5 HP rating is accurate?

Does anyone else have a Springbok of a similar design here?

Thank you for any and all input!

Craig

cprince

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Gotta say, this boat has the COOLEST logo!
p1010001xs0.jpg

cprince

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looking closer at the registration tag on the boat's transom, I noticed that the "Builder" listed is Aluminum Goods LTD. After some searching, I have found that it is related to both Alcan and Mirro Craft.

Odd pedigree. What I am curious about is how old this boat is.

I am also wondering about what kind of HP can I safely get away with after reinforcing the transom. I am hoping to be able to use my 15hp. I was thinking of adding one coupled piece of 3/4 PT on the outside and one on the inside.

Is that overkill?
Is it not enough?

Tashasdaddy mentioned that all of the structural strength comes from the benches and the seem down the middle. Is there need or any way to reinforce these? I am thinking the benches... perhaps would be reinforce-able... the seam... not so much!

Any one have any links to the history of Springbok Boats?

cprince

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are some pics of the transom and benches.

p1010003tq5.jpg

p1010002bc0.jpg

One of the benches with the odd tire chunks stuck to the side and BOLTED through the side of the hull!!
p1010005kz2.jpg

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Springbok Information + Lots Of Pics & Transom Q's

Looking at that boat, it should be rated for at least 15hp. You may have a spec plate on it from another boat. It's a typical light 14' tinny, and I've never seen one with that kind of beam rated for less than 15. My 12' is rated for 10.

The transom mid brace looks pretty sturdy, too. I wouldn't worry at all about 15 hp on that boat. You might lose that capacity plate, somehow, just in case someone comes looking. But...15hp is pretty standard on light 14' aluminum boats with that kind of width, so you won't get many questions.

That 7.5 rating sounds more like it's for a 14' narrow jon boat.

the seat bracing, with the brackets on the top and the bottom of the seat units makes a pretty solid bracing for the boat, as long as the rivets are intact.

Consider a wider wood transom piece on the inside. I'd make one that extended all the way down to the top of that brace. and add an exterior plate, too.

The corner braces for the transom to the gunwales look pretty skimpy, though. If they're made of sheet aluminum, consider an additional brace of good aluminum angle lined up with the inside hypotenuse of those braces.

cprince

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Springbok Information + Lots Of Pics & Transom Q's

... The corner braces for the transom to the gunwales look pretty skimpy, though. If they're made of sheet aluminum, consider an additional brace of good aluminum angle lined up with the inside hypotenuse of those braces.

I have been trying to figure out exactly what you mean... I have an idea, but am not exactly sure... My brain was never wired right for math or geometry... or is it trigonometry?

Could I push my luck that you could add a pic or diagram or link to what you are talking about when you describe how to shore up those braces?

Should the additions be riveted?

Thanks a ton!

Craig