Spraying metal flake

bjly92

Cadet
Hey guys,

I picked up my first boat ever this year. It's been really fun, up until the motor died. I am in the process of a full rebuild on that.

However while waiting for the block from the machine shop I decided to paint the outboard and the engine parts that I had and it started to look good. Now I want to redo the hull.

I have some experience with HVLP spraying but usually just small projects. I have never sprayed metal flake before but this is the look I want to go for.

1. I am curious on the prep process if it would differ from prepping a car for paint?
  2. I am going for full coverage with the flakes so would a base coat be necessary?
  3. Can you spray the clear coat mixed with flake directly over primer?
  4. Is a base coat needed if we are going with full coverage?
  5. would it be successful in anyway if I just decided to sand and clean the old paint and spray clear coat with the metal flake over it?
  6. Does anyone have any brand or product recommendations or tips?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You are spraying gel. Unless you really want to spend some serious money on clear marine 2-part urethane

Here is some reading

@ondarvr and @mickyryan can chime in.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
So my present project I've been regelcoating flaking with big flake and also used same flake on outboard but with automotive paint nason, it's imron renamed I was told , anyways I first did a base coat of color I wanted them I did the flake mixed in clear coat nason clear/ clear gel coat
I used husky hlvp gun that I drilled top out to a 2.5 tip it sprays big flake well and gel coat unthinned, don't set air too high or the flake travels, don't set too low or orangepeel gets huge with that tip size on boat if using gel def use duratek on last coat of clear , plan on using allot of clear to bury flake feel free to ask any questions :)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Hey guys,

I picked up my first boat ever this year. It's been really fun, up until the motor died. I am in the process of a full rebuild on that.

However while waiting for the block from the machine shop I decided to paint the outboard and the engine parts that I had and it started to look good. Now I want to redo the hull.

I have some experience with HVLP spraying but usually just small projects. I have never sprayed metal flake before but this is the look I want to go for.

1. I am curious on the prep process if it would differ from prepping a car for paint?
  2. I am going for full coverage with the flakes so would a base coat be necessary?
  3. Can you spray the clear coat mixed with flake directly over primer?
  4. Is a base coat needed if we are going with full coverage?
  5. would it be successful in anyway if I just decided to sand and clean the old paint and spray clear coat with the metal flake over it?
  6. Does anyone have any brand or product recommendations or tips?
1 same prep
2 yes basecoat very important but don't have to be thick use lightgrey/ white under silver flake if you want silver flake to pop,
3 yes but it will look terrible unless primer is the color you going for for base color
4. Yep it will show regardless of full coverage of flake it will enhance flake like if blue flake do a blue base coat
5 yes if it's in good shape and you can sand it without burning through but go with same color flake if primary colors, my basecoat is black with silver/red flakes not full coverage so it pops I do have a silver strip that's 100 percent coverage and I did light grey under that.
I use nason for automotive paints,but for gelcoat there are many different brands never heard of a bad brand of gelcoat , use unwaxed and last coat add duratek

bjly92

Cadet
You are spraying gel. Unless you really want to spend some serious money on clear marine 2-part urethane

Here is some reading

@ondarvr and @mickyryan can chime in.
thank you, I currently have old marine paint on the hull. I read somewhere that clear gelcoat will not adhere properly to paint. any truth?

Thanks for the link it was very informative.

bjly92

Cadet
1 same prep
2 yes basecoat very important but don't have to be thick use lightgrey/ white under silver flake if you want silver flake to pop,
3 yes but it will look terrible unless primer is the color you going for for base color
4. Yep it will show regardless of full coverage of flake it will enhance flake like if blue flake do a blue base coat
5 yes if it's in good shape and you can sand it without burning through but go with same color flake if primary colors, my basecoat is black with silver/red flakes not full coverage so it pops I do have a silver strip that's 100 percent coverage and I did light grey under that.
I use nason for automotive paints,but for gelcoat there are many different brands never heard of a bad brand of gelcoat , use unwaxed and last coat add duratek

Thanks, these were the answers I was looking for. I have old 1970s turquois paint on there. I'm fairly certain its paint and not gelcoat, I rubbed alcohol on it and it didn't shine up. I am just having a hard time finding the best budget option for the clear coat to mix with.

I was thinking of hitting it with green flakes. I suppose this would just make the green flakes look a bit brighter? I would probably want to hit it with a black base coat to get a bit of a darker look.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Thanks, these were the answers I was looking for. I have old 1970s turquois paint on there. I'm fairly certain its paint and not gelcoat, I rubbed alcohol on it and it didn't shine up. I am just having a hard time finding the best budget option for the clear coat to mix with.

I was thinking of hitting it with green flakes. I suppose this would just make the green flakes look a bit brighter? I would probably want to hit it with a black base coat to get a bit of a darker look.

thank you, I currently have old marine paint on the hull. I read somewhere that clear gelcoat will not adhere properly to paint. any truth?

Thanks for the link it was very informative.
Yes you are gonna need to stick with paint if it's been painted you need to buy a pint of clear and test to make sure it don't lift the paint if it don't id scuff with a Scotch Brite pad like 320 then embed the flake in first coat of clear

Scott Danforth

Staff member
wipe it with acetone. if it softens and comes off, its paint.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
So... I'm 89.6% certain its paint. Is there a test that would damage gel coat and not paint? That way if my assumption is correct, nothing happens.
gel is stronger and more inert than paint. however it does oxidize and get chalky

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Some Paints are pretty resistant to Acetone, but Brake Fluid is often good for wrecking Havoc with Paint. There are also Paint Strippers out there that work on most paints, and they certainly wouldn't affect Gelcoat.