Spraying Brightside

isis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I been having trouble spraying brightside.Try mixing the special thinner 5%,10% and can't get a good wet coat.Clean 3 different spray guns with same results.The paint is coming out wet and them coming out in a dry coat.Play with air compressor setting 50 -60 psi.Can not get the mirror like finish all threw the spraying.Looks good in some spots and dull in other.I am painting outdoors and the only thing i can firgure is the temperature,but i think the can said around 85 degree.Any clue of what going on?
Thanks

alaska_av8r

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Spraying Brightside

Isis I just finished a boat with brightsides, however I did the roll and tip and did not spray. I used the brushing liquid 333 which slows down the drying time allowing the paint to flow, the special thinner actually would speed up the process (make it dry faster, and recommended for cooler temps).

I painted in 90 plus degrees or so and had to exceed the recommendation of 10% by volume using the brushing liquid, I was at appx 28% before the paint would glass out.

Hope that helps.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Sounds like your solvent...are you using a interlux product aka

Brushing Liquid 333
enpixel.gif
enpixel.gif
A slow drying solvent which improves the flow of enamels, varnishes, and Brightside?.

Highyly recomended in this corner...

216 id clean my roller's with it but not much else..:cool: Little side note you want to build layers with BrightSides...to much paint to fast and you will get solvent entrapment....been there done that.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you need more paint and less air.
Do you know what size tip you have?
Should be 2mm to 2.5mm.
Does the paint atomize? Are you getting heavy orange peel?
Are you in the sun? How much wind do you have?
The solvent #216 speeds up drying.
I believe #333 slows drying, hense for brushing.
If you have high tempertures you may need to get some #333.
Test using small amounts of paint. If you have a gravity gun a few oz. are enough. If you have a siphon feed gun you may need 8 - 12 oz. Try no #216 and see what happens. Get some #333 try 5%. See if you can tell a difference.

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

Tail_Gunner beat me to it.
Do you have much experience spray painting?
You need to build layers, letting the solvent flash off before adding more coats.

isis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I using 216,what the can calls for.The 333 is for brushing according to the can.I guess the 216 is a fast reducer and the 333 is a slow one,what you guys are tell me.I took autobody and i know about the flash coat.I going let this 2 coat dry for 16 hours them wet sand with 320/400 and spray it in the cool part of the day.If that dont work i try the 333.Any more feed back would work for me.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

If you are pushing 60 lbs. of air through a gravity feed gun then it is way too much. Do as WoodCrafter recommends and check your tip. Also sounds like you might be moving a tad too fast. Too much air and too much speed and you'll be applying 'color' - not paint.
http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/

drewpster

Commander

Is the wind blowing? I mean, at all? I have noticed Brightside flashes very quickly in ANY wind. Even the slightest breeze. I had such a hard time with wind that I started only painting in the calmest time of day, either early morning, or in the evening. If there was any wind at all I got dry spots.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I using 216,what the can calls for.The 333 is for brushing according to the can.I guess the 216 is a fast reducer and the 333 is a slow one,what you guys are tell me.I took autobody and i know about the flash coat.I going let this 2 coat dry for 16 hours them wet sand with 320/400 and spray it in the cool part of the day.If that dont work i try the 333.Any more feed back would work for me.

There ya go..now if your trying to get good atomization that too could be part of the problem.....i tried with a binks type and neve could get good atomization with the right tip and pressure.

333 will make the finish far more stable...but it might sag if your not careful..;)