spray coming over transom

Silver Heels

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I've got a 1970 14' Lund and a 1973 20 hp Johnson short shaft. When running the boat at a high speed, water tends to splash/spray up from behind the transom on either side of the motor and run down the inside of the transom. This happens with people on board and sitting forward and when its just me. The correct trim for the boat is with the motor all the way in, and changing that only exacerbates the problem as it allows the transom to go lower as the boat is no longer level, so problem is not the trim. Other than a bandaid fix like some spray shields, is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer
Re: spray coming over transom

If boat and motor are both long shaft or both short shaft, it is common to find that short/short or long/long are not necessarily exactly compatible, unless maybe you have a long shaft motor on a short shaft transom (look into that first). Pick up some paint paddles and slip one at a time under your motor bracket to raise the motor off the transom. Just make sure that you have enough clamp left to fully engage a secure bite on the top edge. Try that before resorting to anything else. That's what we used to do to pique our hydros years ago during my racing days.

Captain Chris

Silver Heels

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the idea. I'll give it a shot (In spring though)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

agree raise the motor, usually 3/4 of an inch.