sportjet ignition fix

jetstorm

Cadet
i notice everyone having alot of ignition probs with there sportjets,i had bought a dynasty jet storm with the sportjet 90 and it had ig. problems.after reading everyone elses excessive problems, i decided to install an old electromotive ignition i had and my boat has run flawless all summer so far.you have to remove all magnets under flywheel and install an alternator to charge battery.

hypersniper

Banned
Re: sportjet ignition fix

ok explain that in a little more detail please. pics , diagrams etc . that would only eliminate a charging problem and not an ignition problem which is what were all having.

jetstorm

Cadet

ok explain that in a little more detail please. pics , diagrams etc . that would only eliminate a charging problem and not an ignition problem which is what were all having.

sorry,check http://www.electromotive-inc.com ,it is a complete standalone ignition,not a charging system.they are a little pricey new,but you can find used ones on e-bay.they use a 60 tooth trigger wheel and mag sensor just like newer cars.i have a couple on different vehicles and they are very reliable.

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was actually thinking of building a standalone battery powered cdi ignition module and use the existing trigger to fire the plug.

Why remove the magnets? The chrarging coils will still work independently from the ignition coils and charge the battery

I would be very interested in seeing what you have donne can you provide a bit more info perhaps some pics. We are all pretty handy on this forum and Im pretty sure some might attempt to do the same

jetstorm

Cadet

i think you have to remove everything magnetic off the flywheel because of the magnetic sensor that reads the trigger wheel.i will try to get some pics tomorrow if its not raining.

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool thanks, are u using single output dfu units? And did yoy set your initial timing to 10 btdc and your 1000-3000 to 30 btdc?

jetstorm

Cadet

i have not hooked the ignition box up to a computer as i am having trouble finding a cable,but i checked it with a timing light and the curve looked good and it maxed out at 32 deg.runs very well so i don't think i will mess with it.

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats pretty slick but did you initially try it with the magnets still attached? Or did you just remove them before even testing. And how did u set up your timing?

jetstorm

Cadet

i did not try it with magnets still in because the directions said to take them out,if you used aluminum bolts and spacers for the trigger wheel i don't think it would affect the sensor with the magnets in the flywheel then.to time it you just line up marks on flywheel to 0 deg with the sensor aiming at the trailing edge of the 11th tooth on the trigger wheel.you can make some adjustment into the sensor bracket to fine tune the timing.very easy to set up and seems to be very accurate spark control.you could probably make a cheap setup using an ignition from some 6cyl cars that use similar waste spark setups.wiring would probably be fun lol

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool

I might do that one day but for now I repair my own CDI's. For me the hard part was removing the potting compound without damaging the components, as for components there is about $20 worth inside the CDI and it costs over $300 new :)