SportJet 90 Ignition issues

smartz1974

Recruit
Ok, first I would like to say, I have gotten a ton of info from reading the posts on here. I bought this boat not running. Practically for free. It was winterized then sat for 5 years. I cleaned out the carbs, etc. Verified fuel delivery is good. No spark. Performed tests and found the stator failed the resistance tests. I have another SJ90 but it had the red stator, mine had the black. I swapped stators, candy bar box, and switchbox. No voltage at the coils. I put my old switchbox back on, no spark, no voltage at the coils. I noticed that when using the red stator, you abandon the red wire from the switchbox. At least thats what I could gather from reading all the other posts. I decided to connect the candy bar blue wire to the red one for the heck of it and it started! It ran right up to about 3000 RPM, but it was running. I had the black/yellow disconnected from the switchbox so I finally killed it by pulling the plug wires off. I connected the blacik/yellow and tried again. Nothing. My question is, if the switchbox is bad, would the blue wire not work along with the black/yellow or am I looking at 2 seperate issues here? Thanks in advance for any help. I know there are alot of elecrical issues with these things..... Oh, I havent tested the ignition/kill circuit yet, thats tomorrow. Could be I have a bad ignition switch, wire, etc. Can I run it with the candy bar blue to the switchbox red or is that why it is running at 3000 rpm? Thanks again!

smartz1974

Recruit
Re: SportJet 90 Ignition issues

Well, after extensive testing, and replacing the rev limiter and switchbox, I now have a running engine. It does Idle extremely high though. I ordered a tach so I can determine exactly what RPMs it is idling at. Sounds around 3000 but I need to know for sure. I am assuming I need to start by disconnecting throttle cable and checking linkage settings, carb settings, timing, etc. If anyone has any tips I would appreciate them. I have the manual, and it explains, rather well actually, how to adjust everything. I do hate how tight the reflexx engin compartment is. The Sea Ray that I pulled my spare sportjet out of had a ton of room! I am actually impressed by this boats construction and it is in rather decent shape for sitting for 5 years, at least. Once I get this motor running properly, I will check on the wear ring, impeller, ride plate, etc. Then a test drive and some buffing to bring the gel coat back and I should have me a fun little boat for less that $1000! If anyone has any suggestions as to what else I should check on this thing, please chime in. I have never owned anything with a jet before. All outboard and stern drive boats, a few drag cars, trucks, bikes, etc. From what I have read, they are fun little boats that foks seem to hang on to......

dsrace

Seaman Apprentice
Re: SportJet 90 Ignition issues

if you have a timing light that also shows rpm like mine it will work to set idle but I wouldn't just start connecting wires with out a wiring diagrams or the wiring instructions nor pull the plug wires off while it running. the electrical systems on these boats are very very fragile lol you could do more damage by doing that with the plug wires. if you have the manual go buy a good multimeter and test according to the book. I have read a lot of post stating you have got to hit close to 5 k rpm of the boat won't plane and this is true! there is an after market impellor btw called solaris and I have been asking around on a few sights if anyone has tried one of these in one of these boats and a few have, they say it make a good diff on the hole shot.