Sport Jet Exhaust Question

Frsmith2

Cadet
Can someone explain the purpose of the "foam exhaust deflector", part number 823611?

Mine had popped out on the bottom half and I was able to work them back in but they are deteriorated. Based on the parts diagram if you search by that part number I wonder if they could be replaced by simply taking the ride plate off.

Any experience with them?

Frsmith2

Cadet
Re: Sport Jet Exhaust Question

So, limited info out there on this subject. From what I can tell, these are to help keep water from back flowing into exhaust?

Would be helpful if anyone can confirm and if you know if these can be replaced by simply removing the ride plate. Mine are deteriorated.

aksor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think it will prevent water back flowing as the entire bottom of the exhaust is under water while the boat is in water. I had mine sticking out when I first bought the boat and did not realize it till after a few outings and did not see a difference in performance.

The ride plate seal does as you do not want exhaust bubbles cavitating your impeller.

Frsmith2

Cadet

Thanks. I took it out for the first time (after replacing the entire ignition system) this weekend and got up to 42 mph. Seems to be doing just fine.

I pushed the seals back in place but they are pretty deteriorated. Cheap parts, so would be nice if I could replace them without dropping the pump. Looks like there's some access if you took the ride plate off.