Sport Jet 90 carb issue

Hello all. Just bought a 95 bass tracker with a 90hp sport jet. The only way this thing will start is if you blow through what seems to be a breather hose that goes to all three carbs. Runs great after this but must be done each time you go to start the motor. Should I just clean the carbs or is there any parts I should order for the carbs ?

downeastrob

Cadet
Re: Sport Jet 90 carb issue

Those are overflows. Maybe blowing into them forces fuel into the venturi. Did you check to see if your choke is working?
They should be Tilleson carbs. My overflow fittings were clogged but if your careful enough with the gaskets you shouldn't need to buy anything.

Not sure if the choke is working when I push the key in. Not sure how I can make sure. Do the carbs have front flaps for choke ? Thanks for reply.

Moxie

Seaman Apprentice

When you push the key in, are you hearing the "Click"? You should see the choke move on the motor's right side (from the front).

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First, the 95 sport jet should have an enrichner not a mechanical choke. The vent tubes (yellowish/clear hose) should be cleaned as well as the connectors on the carbs for the vent tubes. It is a common issue for these to clog.
Second, remove the sound attenuator (air cleaner like thing) and use a mirror to look down the throats of the carbs. When in nuetral for starting, all 3 should be completely closed to allow vaccuum for the enrichner. Also, when at full throttle, all 3 should be flat horizontally or you won't get top speed (it will loose just a little speed at full throttle as the butterfly moves past wide open). It takes a little work but once adjusted you'll get better performance all around.

Took the Tracker to the river for 2 days and it ran great besides my choke issue , but the last ride before I loaded it up it . The rpms dropped from 5200k to 4100k at full throttle. I know the boat was low on gas but doubt that would do it. Going to take the carbs off after work tomorrow and give them a good cleaning and check my choke. Thanks again for all the help guys. Will let you know what happens .

Thanks a bunch calledinsick ! It was the hose going from the auto enricher to the middle carb . Starts easily after cleaning it , and the carbs .Now what would cause it to get water in the bottom cylinder ? It only seems to happen when I have it hooked up to a garden hose and the water is turned on wide open . Does not do this when on the water . Thanks again.

Brad_Ct

Seaman Apprentice

You have to much water pressure from the hose and it is forcing water into the engine. From what I have read and confirmed by using this method, holding the hose vertical you should only have enough pressure for the water stream to be a couple of inches off the end of the hose.

Did I mess up anything in the motor by doing this? Seems to run fine and I am getting 120psi on each cylinder.

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This should be all the pressure on the water holding the hose out in front of you:
sj9.jpg

Took it out again and had it over heat for a second. Thermostat is bad so I removed it and ordered another . All in all it started great and ran great . Now I have a Clymer and I am still a little hesitant on checking the gear oil in the main drive and stator .I see the stator must be removed. Does the main drive,or can I do it from underneath ? Thanks again for all the help.