Sport Jet 90 Black to Red Stator Conversion - With Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1995 Sport Jet 90 with Original Black Stator (Serial Numbers 0E145580 THRU 0E151579) converted to Red Stator.

Original Black Stator/wiring (identifiable by 2 yellow, 1 red, and 1 blue wire - just right of center in picture):
sj1.jpg

Top of flywheel with cover removed. 3 holes for wheel puller:
sj2.jpg

Wheel Puller attached. Crank forcing bolt down, tap forcing bolt with hammer, tighten forcing bolt, repeat as necessary until flywheel pops loose:
sj3.jpg

Flywheel removed, orignal black stator. 6 allen bolts holding original stator in place. Unable to see in picture is crankshaft/flywheel key/key-slot on the back side of the shaft.
sj4.jpg

Black Stator removed (sitting on right), Red Stator in place. Align arrow on Stator for Sport Jet 90 to point to aft. Secure with the 6 Allen bolts/threadlock. Also notice leads from Red Stator are 2 yellow, 1 white/green, 1 green/white.
sj5.jpg

Inside of flywheel- 6 magnets. Key/Key slot at about 2 o'clock in the picture.
sj6.jpg

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Sport Jet 90 Black to Red Stator Conversion - With Pics

Flywheel replaced, wiring from Stator routed, adapter (black box about the size of a candy bar). It's hard to see but it has the blue wire coming out of it.
sj7.jpg

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Now that you have a stator with good Voltage , reOHM the trigger and post results , looks like the trigger will ohm good but breakdown with voltage , Mine looked the same way and Ohm'd Good .

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Purple = 1192
White = 1203
Brown = 1188

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That was what I was afraid of , do a switchbox bias test as follows and do you have a DVA adapter for your meter do we can try to get some readings to confirm my suspicion of the trigger ?
Switchbox bias test is as follows :

1. Voltmeter set to 20v DC
2. Red voltmeter wire to good engine ground
3. Black voltmeter wire to White/Black wire at switchbox
4. Crank engine, reading should be 2-10 volts

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2.44 Volts.

No, don't currently have a DVA...what's the best place to get one? I tried an autoparts store and they didn't know what it was.

Thanks,
Brian
www.calledinsick.com

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You need to call me , check your PM's sent my cell number

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Replaced Trigger. Still no spark on any of the 3 cylinders.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As we discussed , redo the wire disconnects , both yellow at the regulator , then black/Yellow at the switchbox , if still no spark You need a switchbox . It is not uncommon for something to fail and fry lots of stuff on these motors , Good news id newer and updated parts are much better and have little problems .

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unplugged both yellow...no spark on any of the 3 cylinders, disconnected Black/Yellow from Kill circuit, no spark on any cylinders, disconnected Black/Yellow at Rev Limiter, no spark on any cylinders. Switchbox on order.

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Tips/Tricks learned/useful knowledge for the Sport Jet 90:

- Used an Impact wrench on the Crankshaft/flywheel nut (you can keep the flywheel from spinning with just your hand).

- Additional option is to thread 2 bolts into top of flywheel (flywheel puller holes) and use a prybar through the 2 bolts to keep flywheel from turning if using ratchet/wrench on nut

- Putting flywheel back on: Use a dab of grease on flywheel/shaft key (curved side of key) to help hold in place. Insert key in crankshaft depression first (curved side of key), then slide flywheel on/over matching key to key slot.

- Hose fitting from Home Depot. Male to Male connector + hose adapter/hose fitting:
sj8.jpg

- Use low pressure on water hose for connection to pickup at the pump - holding hose straight out in front of you, water barely rises over hose connection:
sj9.jpg

- Used a 6 foot 1"X2" and cut a notch in the end so I could crank the engine from behind the boat while watching the spark plug tester (also used a mirror setup around/beside the engine hatch but was difficult to see during daylight hours):
sj10.jpg

Slipped notch over key so key could be turned on/crank/off using wood "pole/stick" from behind boat:
sj11.jpg

- Spark Plug tester (lightbulb in clear plastic section that lights up when plug sparks):
sj12.jpg

philly5eagle

Seaman Apprentice

Good pictures. I love posts with pictures. Do you have one that shows the hose connected to the boat?

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nice Pics , you are becoming a huge asset to this forum , keep it up I need the help :D

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks! We can all help each other...sharing of information is what it's all about!

Favorite quote for the internet: Freedom of information, because information wants to be free!

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks! We can all help each other...sharing of information is what it's all about!

Favorite quote for the internet: Freedom of information, because information wants to be free!
You go the right attitude but my favorite is if you visit the right website at anytime of the day it will be 5 o'clock there .. good enough for me
:D

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

New switch box in Saturday, installed, spark plug tester shows spark! Yay! Off to the river. Ran a few minutes, shut off and re-started several times, then off to the races! Ran about 20 minutes, stopped, and when I restarted...only running on 2 cylinders! #1 is not firing! Ugh!
Swapped #1 and #2 coil and #2 not firing...diagnosis: bad coil. Use trolling motor most of the way back to ramp then crank engine...runs great on all 3 cylinders!! WTF???

Contact Kend301...recommends replacing coil...could gain resistance as it heats up, and using the trolling motor allowed it to cool off enough to produce spark again. Advises when replacing, pull the rubber boot off the coil and examine magnet around the coil...if it's broke, coil is spent.

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's the hose adapter connected. The brass fitting above the hose adapter is where the water pickup normally connects for normal engine operation:

sj13.jpg

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is the bad coil. Number 1 from my engine. It was easy to see that the magnet had a crack all the way through as soon as the rubber boot (on the right) was removed:

sj14.jpg

calledinsick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

New Stator: $276
New Trigger: $70
New Switchbox: $247
New Coil: $42

Painful sunburn from spending the weekend on the water with a running Sport Jet....PRICELESS!!

Thanks Kend301 for the help, availability, and expertise!

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I knew it was broke , been there done that as I told you .. So gald you have her sorted out , Not uncommon to have multiple problems with these boats , you just need to get to the one that started it ! ..

Status
Not open for further replies.