Sport Jet 120

ranman57

Recruit
1995 120 Hp Sport Jet

I'm getting water coming out of #4 cylinder, I am about to pull the engine and just wanted to know what your thoughts are.
I'm thinking its a blown exhaust gasket, or head gasket, anything else should I look for??

Thanks for any helpful advice.

Last edited:

ranman57

Recruit
Since I wrote this post I haven't had much response, so I have pulled the exhaust manifold.
Here is a pic but I can't tell if the gasket is blown or not, it does look kind of bad on the left side anybody have any answer?
Before I put any more money into gasket just need to know if it could be any thing else?
Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• Boat Engine.jpg
    Boat Engine.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 9

GA_Boater

Staff member
SportJets are kind of rare here. Not too many owners in the forum.

Since the motor is an outboard motor, a worn lower crankshaft seal can allow water in the bottom cylinder. That's often accompanied with what we call steam cleaning and a clean spark plug - No carbon on the plug or piston. I can't tell by the picture.

ranman57

Recruit
Thanks for the input, I do have a clean spark plug and like I said water in #4 cylinder. So I'll look into the crankshaft seal, I know the boat is older but I have been running it for the last 4 or 5 years that way but want to try to get it running better,
Thanks again.

ranman57

Recruit
I pulled the motor and looked at the crankshaft seal but doesn't look like nothing wrong.
Besides those things is there anywhere else that anybody knows where water can get into the #4 cylinder?

Attachments

• Boat Engine Crankshaft Seal.jpg
    Boat Engine Crankshaft Seal.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

danhobal

Recruit
Hey Ranman, from what I found on youtube towards that is the exhaust manifold gasket (jetdrive) be replaced every 5 yrs, or yes water may be sucked into the cylinders because of the water jacket proximity to the exhaust ports.
But what I dont know for sure about it could probably fill a warehouse.

ranman57

Recruit
Hey Ranman, from what I found on youtube towards that is the exhaust manifold gasket (jetdrive) be replaced every 5 yrs, or yes water may be sucked into the cylinders because of the water jacket proximity to the exhaust ports.
But what I dont know for sure about it could probably fill a warehouse.
Hey thanks for the info, I just don't know anywhere else except for the exhaust that would bring water into the cylinder.