[SPLASHED] I/O (Sterndrive) Conversion to Outboards

tpenfield

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
19,547
Network Update . . .

I took another run at the GPS networking today. The boat has 2 networks that are joined together (somewhere). So, I connected the GPS to the other network . . . much better, but the GPS was picking up a maintenance alert (20 hr service) and not wanting to do much else.

After a bunch of research and trial/error . . . I was able to reset the maintenance minder. So, the GPS is somewhat happily on the network and can 'see' all the other bits and pieces. . . .I think there is some more set-up to do, but I'll count today as a win. :LOL:
 
Last edited:

tphoyt

Commander
Joined
Jun 10, 2010
Messages
2,368
Good old compass can bail you out.
When I was a teenager I worked on a stone crab boat. We got fogged in on Tampa Bay one day and couldn’t see more than 20 or 30 feet.
Cap pulled out the charts and plotted our course home.
 

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
53,220
Was caught in rain on the ICW just outside Tampa Bay and Eggmont Key.

GPS was useless as we were not able to go fast enough for it to get a reading. Apparently we went round and round in circles until the rain cleared.

Installed the compass shortly after
 

tpenfield

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
19,547
I have a compass as well . . . :LOL:

I was able to see the engine data on the Garmin, so the network is 'talking'.
.
IMG_0378.JPG
.
It looks like it can see everything . . . :unsure:
IMG_0377.JPG
.
I got the new sender today . . . Looks pretty good.
.
KUS-Sender.png
.
I tried to do a custom setting on the Veratron gauges, but it is giving inconsistent data. In doing the custom setting, you 'tell' it manually by moving the sender (plunger) at 1/4 tank increments and set the gauge accordingly.

But once all the settings are input, it thinks 1/4 tank is 66 gallons . . . :rolleyes:

That will be tomorrow's challenge . . . time for 🏈
 
Last edited:

tpenfield

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
19,547
Fuel Sender/Gauge Update . . .

Learning curve . . . I figured a few things out about the fuel gauge. I had originally thought the sender was wired to the Veratron Gauge (the 3 Large round gauges). After chasing the wires, I realized the sender is actually connected to the engine controller (iST) :geek: . The Veratron gauges were getting the fuel tank data from the 'network'. but . . . the fuel tank data at the engine controller had not been initialized with tank size and calibration 💡 .

Anyway, I did the data set-up and calibration on the Honda display (instead of the Veratrons) and it looks like I am getting more accurate fuel level. I set the tank to be 147 gallons (slightly less than the spec. 154 gallons), so it will tend to show a 'wee bit' on the low side. (better than showing too much) :unsure: .
 

tpenfield

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
19,547
AutoPilot Update . . .

With a little help from the re-power guy (shop) via some emails back & forth, I was able to get the autopilot configured (so it seems). I won't be able to test it until Spring time, but the Optimus is now showing up on the Garmin with the three autopilot icons (Track/Heading/Route) at the bottom of the Garmin screen.
.
IMG_0411.JPG
.
:cool:
 
Top