Spinnerbaits

Ron G

Commander
Okay this is going to sound strange but i dont like fishing spinnerbaits,but i know its a great bait and i should fish it more.Went to guntersville and found some fish on the channel 2' on top with a matted edge about 3-4'wide then scattered back behind,The fish would hit a worm letting it fall down the grass edge but all little fish,my partner that day is a spinnerbait fiherman,he was taking that spinnerbait and burning on top of the water until the blades would stop turning then start again and the fish was killing it,He caught 2 keepers right behind me on the same spot i was throwing a buzzbait.I learned something new. :) <br /><br />How many of ya'll fish spinnerbaits?I know 3 guys thats all they throw year round,looks like i need to get used to it.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Spinnerbaits

I used to be a spinnerbait only guy. They are the most versatal bait in your tacklebox. They can be fished all year long. They can be fished fast, slow, in between. Deep, shallow and in between. They are also weedless beyond beleif. I normally tie one on my wifes pole and just tell her how to retreive it, she out fishes me sometimes because I am stuck on something else. Yes, if you are going to be a well rounded fisherman you have to learn to use them.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

I throw 'em spring through fall. Not my favorite lure to catch a bass on, but I get a lot of production out of them. Like LD says, they are very versatile, unlike the buzzbait. Another nice thing about them, is usually the bass gets hooked really well. Ya gotta give 'em a chance Ron.

LubeDude

Admiral

I won a club tournament one time letting a spinnerbait hit botom off a point and lifting and dropping it letting it flutter down. They wouldnt hit a jig or a crankbait. Also one of the best nightime baits there is for Bass. Black, big colorado blade, braided line and a medium heavy castring rod. you can really feel the vibration and you tune in on it. If you feel the blade stop it means a bass has it in his mouth and the blade is hitting him on the head or on the other hand you can almost have the pole ripped out of your hand. I love night fishing.<br /><br />Some differences in spinnerbaits also depending on how you use them.<br /><br />Shorter armed ones are better at fluttering down. All the different blade designs come into play also. Willowleaf, Colorado, indiana etc. Also chrome, copper and gold will sometimes make a huge difference. As well as the different sized blades. <br /><br />Spinnerbaits are a whole new learning experience and take a good long time to learn.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

I like a spinnerbait to cover a lot of water quickly, you can bring it through timber or grass without hanging up, or in stained water a pair of willow blades make a lot of vibration. but it is confusing with all the colors & shapes.

koolerb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spinnerbaits, spinnerbaits, and everything else. I know it's not the best bait for every situation, but I use spinner baits more than anything else. I seem to have alot of luck with Mister Twisters; the only problem being their hooks aren't all that beefy, and they bend easy. They're almost like a disposable lure. But they work great, so I keep using them. I just bought some jerk baits because a friend of mine said they were the best things since sliced bread. I fished three of them for about an hour a few weeks ago, northing. Put a little frog spinner bait on from the bargin bin at Sports autority, and bang! Two Pickerel within five minutes of each other. I probably rely on them more than I should, but they work for me.

Ron G

Commander

Im going to start using them more and learning them more,what speed real do ya use?Im going to buy me a new worm rod here soon ,im thinkin about taking the one i have now and use it for spinnerbaits its a 7' m heavy extreme,and i have a curado 6-1 reel.i figure ill keep a spinnerbait tied on and put that rod out evertime i go fishing to remind me to throw it.i may also go one day hereand just fish a spinner all day.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Ron G:<br /> its a 7' m heavy extreme,and i have a curado 6-1 reel.
As we have said, you have to adjust your speed for the conditions.<br /><br />Also, that rod isnt a good candidate for a spinnerbait rod, Its too long. You need a 6-6 1/2' meadium to medium heavy baitcasting rod. Side arm casting will let you get right into those pockets that you need to get into and gives you much better control. Honestly I like a 6' myself.

KCLOST

Commander

"You need a 6-6 1/2' meadium to medium heavy baitcasting rod."<br /><br />I disagree, to a certain extent. 7' is my choice. The biggest concern to me is the action. A med/heavy action rod of one type may not be the same as another. Go with a rod you are comfortable casting within the cover conditions you are casting at. I like a med/heavy action that has some give just beyond the handle. If it is too stiff near the handle it can make for a hard/painful day, especially for those carple tunnel folks... LOL...

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

here's a spinnerbait that comes highly recommended - <br />www.heavycover.com - although $6.50 a pop is just too much for me.<br /><br />and here's another one, $8 each, with interchangeable blades - http://secretweaponlures.com/swhome.htm - they have a chart for selecting blade shapes - http://secretweaponlures.com/swtip05.htm#footnote1 <br /><br />Is there really a difference between the designer lures and the store brands?<br /><br />what about painted blades?<br /><br />plastic trailers?<br /><br />trailer hooks?

LubeDude

Admiral

Ok, to each his own. Normally, along with the longer rod comes a longer handle which makes it mor difficult to underhand or side arm cast. I understand what you are saying though.<br /><br />I would bet that most actual spinnerbait rods are in the 6-6 1/2 ' range though.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

I use a 6.5' AllStar med-heavy. You picked a perfect reel for the job. That Curado won't let you down. This is also a good set-up for your buzzbaits.<br /><br />jtexas:<br /><br />No<br /><br />Painted blades are usually used in muddy/stained water.<br /><br />Plastic Trailers are personal pref.<br /><br />Trailer hooks are for short strikers...and when money's on the line. imho

Ron G

Commander

www.heavycover.com - although $6.50 a pop is just too much for me.<br /><br />That is alittle pricy but that is a cool website for builing your own baits.<br /><br />I dont fish that much thick cover here on our lakes,tree laydowns are about it and a few grass lines on the bank,thats why most of my rods are 7" and longer,theres alot of strusture fishing here most of the time,and when i fish down in alabama its mostly grass and boatdocks.<br />The guy that caught the fish last week caught them on a $1.00 spinnerbait from wal-mart :eek:

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fishing them along laydowns is awesome Ron. Just cast it back to the end of the laydown, then slowly reel it back, make sure it bounces against the timber and then let it drop down a little. Bang it against a stump and the bass usually attacks it a millisecond later. A lot of times, I will quickly fish an edge with a spinnerbait, hoping to pick up of few aggressive bass. Then, I'll go back up the shoreline and pick it apart with a jig or something.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Most of the time I'm using spinning gear for spinnerbaits cause my baitcasters are rigged for worms.<br /><br />I haven't spent much time fishing docks - are you casting parallel to the dock, or throwing in between the posts? Are floating docks any better/worse than pier?<br /><br />About trailers:<br />I always have a trailer hook on a buzz bait but just don't bother on spinnerbaits.<br /><br />Sometimes I'll try a trailer like one of these<br />
531454.jpg
<br />or a curlytail grub, or even a worm, but I've always done better without.

gonefishie

Commander

I use an Shimano 7',med/heavy with a fast action tip. Also, use this rod for buzz bait. The length allows you to cast farther and the fast tip gives so you don't jerk the bait out the fish mouth. Color choices aren't difficult but the blades combination is hard to get it just right, lots of experimentation. If I see grass, the first thing I pick up is the spinnerbait. Dock, parallel it; laydown, the brushy end of it and then cast pass it then retrieve back, this is when bumping the brush is important. A fast gear reel is a must, I've found slower retrieve worked better for me. I rarely burn it cause it wear me out quick. I use Booyah exclusively, personal preference. I wish they still make a blade that was a combination of willow leaf and indiana, looks like an up side down indiana blade, have great flash and vibration. Oh yeah, guys who fish northern natural lakes know that those long slimy pike, pickerel love spinnerbait. I have hooked so many and thinking I'm gonna win the tournament only to see a huge pike when it got to the boat.

LubeDude

Admiral

I have made my own spinnerbaits for years, you can make them with a ball bearing swivel, (A Must), for around a $1.00, if you have the mold, buy the wires, live rubber and hooks in bulk.<br /><br />Next best thing is to buy the $1.00 spinnerbaits at WalMart and buy a few packages of ball bearing swivels and change them out. I buy mine at Bi-mart when I buy them, ($2.59), but you probably dont have them where you are, they are a bit better quality and I exchange the swivels as mentioned above.<br /><br />Here is another tip that works wonders.<br /><br />If the bait is of the regular bullet tip as far as the lead goes. Put the head in a vise and squeeze the sides flat just a little. Then go to the local craft store and go to the plastic eye Isle. You will find a large assortment of the clear plastic eyes that have the puple rattling around in the clear part. I like the ones that are just a bit oval and about 3/8 of an inch. Glue them on the flat spots. They not only look pretty cool, but the eyes rattle when you reteive them and espesially at night they wook great. I know, a silly Idea but dont knock it untill you try it. It works better than the jig rattles., and Im not so sure that they like seeing the eyes, espesially if fishing slow and deep.

Ron G

Commander

Lube do you use sampo swivels?DO you like the rubber than silicone skirts?Dad and i use to make jigs with the rubberskirts for smallmouth,the only thing about rubber is its best to keep your baits in some babypowder to keep the skirts from sticking.<br /><br />Going to do some smallmouth fishing here soon what size and blade configeration,and color do ya'll recomend when using a spinner for smallys?