Spiffin' up the inside?

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was looking at the inside of my boat recently and it occured that perhaps it looks a little "Sparten". I have plain old naughahyde bunks and plain fibergass sides. I'd like to cover the sides with some kind of fabric. Was thinking along the lines of automotive floor covering. Has anyone undertaken this type of project? If so, what was your experience. What did you use and how did you do it? Thanks for any help.

gewf631

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Spiffin' up the inside?

What kind of boat, and what do you use the boat for? <br />If recreation (toolin' around, tubing, etc), indoor/outdoor carpet is easy on the pocketbook, and has a decent feel. It's available at most home centers (along with the glue).<br />If fishing, you might want a vinyl or other smooth coating (both to make it easy to clean, and so you don't catch the hooks). This is easy to find at most boat retailers, as well as on-line (along with the glue).<br /><br />If it's a larger cruiser (with a cabin), well, that's a different story!

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Ed F:<br />It's a 25' cruiser with the cabin,head,sink fridge etc. The wife and I enjoy going out on the bay and spending the night from time to time. I'd like to get it a little more appealing and comfortable for her. The indoor / outdoor carpeting would be nice, for the outside, but I like to fish and sometimes it gets a bit messy. I might go that route though and install snap fittings on the edges. I'm really hopeing that someone might have done this type of thing and would be willing to give a few suggesstions

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

You are on the right track. Use a non-skid type paint that is rolled or brushed on, so you have traction and hose-ability. I used Evercoat No-Skid, works very well. Then install snaps and use good marine carpet that can be snapped in for cruisin', and removed for fishin'. Good luck...

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I vote for the carpet treatment. Jasonj's idea of using snaps to mount it is great and versatile. Also, with indoor/outdoor carpet, it is easy to make two tone interiors like grey/white, blue/white, beige/brown. Overlap pieces of carpet and cut with razor knife through both pieces at once, then attach using carpet tape and an old iron. It won't come apart.

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys.<br />That takes care of the outside. Now what about the inside? When I say "inside", I'm speaking of the house part. How can I put something on the hull besides paint? I'm thinking of some sort of velor type material but not quite sure. Any thoughts.

boat999

Recruit

Im not exactly sure what you're looking for Safari. Are you looking ro protect the inside of your boat? If so, I purchased Durabak (it's a protective polyurethane) from a site called Newlinesafety.com. It worked great and is of great quality.<br /><br />Protected the inside of my boat and made it look nice as well.

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm sorry, I'm not explaining myself very well. What I want to do is line the inside of the hull (inside the living area)not so much for protection, but for appearance sake. Some sort of fabric is what I'm after and I'm wondering if anyone has done this?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

How about vinyl over foam padding? Depending on the amount of curvature and space to cover, typical upholstry foam and vinyl will work. If you have a gally and seating, etc and just want to cover the hull, then cut 1/2 or 1" foam sheets to fit against the hull, spray with contact adhesive, and apply vinyl. Wrap vinyl around edges about 2". Then the foam/vinyl pannel can be attached to the hull with the contact adhesive. Or cut 6 or 8" wide strips of foam a few feet long, cover with vinyl, and then cut the strips to fit the areas you want to cover. Gives that tuck & roll sort of look. A 1 or 2" strip of vinyl can be glued directly to the hull where the padded strips edges butt together so if it puckers or does not fit tight, the same color vinyl will be visible between them and look professional.<br /><br />It would be worth the effort to find a foam padding that will hold up to marine environment - high humidity, wide temp ranges, etc, and won't deteriorate in a few years. Denser foam will feel solid and give a lot of sound deadening both water lapping sounds, interior noise reflection, and transmitted mechanical sounds from the motor and bilge pump. Do the same on the ceiling in white for a nice contrast and finished look. <br /><br />Another thing you could play around with that is not expensive is vinyl sheet flooring. It comes in some wood grain patterns that might be interesting on the hull. Its cheap enought you can buy a yard and play around with it or pickup a "short roll" that they sell at the home centers - I picked up a 3x8 roll for a closet floor for about $10.00<br /><br />If the area your covering is flat, there are lots of kitchen/batch materials you could use. Take a stroll through one of the home centers to get some ideas.

Safari

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mark42<br /><br />Yea!! That's what I was looking for. Good Idea. I checked out your project---------Nice.<br />Thanks.