Spending the night on the anchor

Tim Wagner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Spending the night on the anchor

With some Barry White tunes playing...

Oh my god, careful with that Barry White!!! You play that and you'll wind up with a family or a bigger one.
That music overrides all contaceptives!!

hd883chopper

Seaman Apprentice

With a stern anchor, imagine what happens if a storm blows up from the opposite side, and your stern is now trying to be the bow... Yeah, bad things happen quickly.

I've seen a couple of posts mentioning that a stern anchor is a bad idea. Can you enlighten a novice? Why is an overnight anchor at the stern a bad idea? With the quote above, Smokingcrater says that the stern would become the bow. I'm thinking that means that wind and waves could overcome the stern. Is that why?

shrew

Lieutenant

I've seen a couple of posts mentioning that a stern anchor is a bad idea. Can you enlighten a novice? Why is an overnight anchor at the stern a bad idea? With the quote above, Smokingcrater says that the stern would become the bow. I'm thinking that means that wind and waves could overcome the stern. Is that why?

Anchoring Stern ONLY is absolutely a bad idea and yo ucould find yourself in such conditions. If wind or tide changed and you had 2 anchors out, this may also be undesirable. The latter would depend on what yo uanchored near. I certainly wouldn't use a bow/stern together if I were in the middle of an anchorage or with my stern facing open water. This is why many who use both, anchor close to shore with their stern to the shore. Very difficult for wind or tide to whip up waves with the minimal fetch between a shore and your boat.

hd883chopper

Seaman Apprentice

Anchoring Stern ONLY is absolutely a bad idea and yo ucould find yourself in such conditions. If wind or tide changed and you had 2 anchors out, this may also be undesirable. The latter would depend on what yo uanchored near. I certainly wouldn't use a bow/stern together if I were in the middle of an anchorage or with my stern facing open water. This is why many who use both, anchor close to shore with their stern to the shore. Very difficult for wind or tide to whip up waves with the minimal fetch between a shore and your boat.

Got it. Thanks for the advice.
hd