speedometer for the Nineteen?

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been thinking about adding a speedometer to the dash but just can't bring myself to cut a big ole hole. Anyone figured a way to mount one . Maybe make a separate wood grain panel or something ??

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is the type speedo I'm wanting to install. Matches nice with the rest of the gauges.

Attachments

• nineteen speedo.JPG
    nineteen speedo.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You could always make a stand off mount for it and set the meter in that stand off mount. Then you don't have to make any holes in the dash. JMHO

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thought about a block of wood, shape it , attach it to the bottom of the plywood on the dash pad and to the trim at the bottom of the dash. Then stain the front to match the fake wood instrument cluster.

ziggy

Admiral
This is the type speedo I'm wanting to install. Matches nice with the rest of the gauges.
ya it does. it's perfect!
i like where your holding it up at. it looks good there. but i'm with you. i wouldn't wanna put a hole in my dash either. not sure ya can even. at least not right there. on my Nineteen there's a 1'' or so square piece of aluminum that runs horizoal with the dash about right there. ya'd need to be sure it cleared that bar, assumin yers has that too. i think my stereo just clears that bar.
i probably wouldn't have a stereo (for not wanting to cut a hole in the dash for it) if it wasn't for mine already had the hole there for an 8 track when i got it.
i like yer idea of making a bracket of some sorts so that ya don't have to drill the big hole.
kinda a bum idea. but i got a vhf mounted underdash on mine. it had a cb in it when i got it so i swapped it out for a vhf. maybe the speedo could go there. might not be the greatest place for a speedo though, but pretty good for a vhf.

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Jim , I had thought of rearranging the dash cluster to fit it in there, but that would be a big can of worms I don't want to tackle. I know the tach usually can double as the speedo at certain RPMs, but for some reason, my tach will read 4000 rpm and a gps will show 44-45 mph. Go figure 🙂. If I can work out the speedo,I think that would be a nice option. Be a little custom I guess .

ziggy

Admiral
I had thought of rearranging the dash cluster to fit it in there, but that would be a big can of worms I don't want to tackle.
somewhere in the 8 pages of aristocraft forum is a pic of somebody that did a custom made wood dash. i've not been able to find it though. but i think it's some where in here. looked real nice and would give ya the option of getting the speedo up on the dash panel. i would guess, like you said. a can of worms. likely time consuming and a full dash rewire. but it did look sweet when it was done. if i find the post, i link it.
I know the tach usually can double as the speedo at certain RPMs, but for some reason, my tach will read 4000 rpm and a gps will show 44-45 mph.
yep, mine does, almost perfectly. i'm gonna guess were running different props. i run a 19p black max aluminim behind my kinda tired 165 hp L6. what prop are you running? you've got a real fast Nineteen. best i've done is 44 mph on perfect day and tach over wot spec at 4400 rpm. (my normal wot speed is 42 or 43).
If I can work out the speedo,I think that would be a nice option.
ya it would, only gauge ya wouldn't have is a volt meter. but in the day our ammeters were the ticket in lieu of the volt meter. with the speedo, you'd have a real nice array of gauges for sure. if it don't work out. you always got yer gps to fall back on.

luva63

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Jim for the link. Mine has a 21 pitch prop. A 1/2 " piece of mahogony veneer plywood stained and sealed with the original aluminum edging would work for the dash panel . Next trick would be to work out what would fit where . I'm thinking maybe leave the two small gauges in the center where they are and add the tach and speedo on each side of them. Then balance out the others down below. Could cut out some cardboard in the shape and size of the instrument panel and some circles the size of the gauges, move em around where they would fit on the dash and also the indentions in the fiberglass behind the panel where the gauge backs set .