Speed limiter Volvo Penta 205A

Juhl

Cadet
Hi
At the wiring diagram is shown a speed limiter for my VP 205A - how does it look like and where do I find it ? - on the motor or behind the instrumentboard?

/Jens

alldodge

Staff member
Hi
At the wiring diagram is shown a speed limiter for my VP 205A - how does it look like and where do I find it ? - on the motor or behind the instrumentboard?

/Jens

No Volvo dude here but I haven't heard of a speed limiter, have heard of a Rev limiter. If you mean the rev limiter, this is part of the engines computer settings which are programed in. When the engine reaches the rev limit, the computer will start retarding the timing to slow the engines revolutions

What is causing you issue to ask the question?

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
According to the wiring diagram on page 466 in Clymer's Volvo manual (1968-1993) a bunch of Volvo V6 and V8 engines are supposed to have a speed limiter, my engine included (430). But it doesn't, and according to Volvo's original diagram, the 430 shouldn't. Maybe it's a different case for the AQ205. The speed limiter should be connected to both terminals on the coil. It is probably to protect the engine from over revin'. The older distributors didn't have a built in rev limiter, so some engines may have this added externally. If your engines has this limiter, it should be found on the engine, near the coil.

Juhl

Cadet
Hi Horizonblue
Funny that I have to ask over the ocean to get answer from 10 Km away - live in Silkeborg.dk: I have problem with a new distriunbutor after working fine suddenly not giving a spark and thourght that it could be a "hanging" speed limiter/rpm limiter which is shown in the wiring diagram as you mention, but I cannot find it. If you will send your phone number by PM, I will call you tomorrow -

Last edited by a moderator:

captmello

Captain
Hi Horizonblue
Funny that I have to ask over the ocean to get answer from 10 Km away - live in Silkeborg.dk: I have problem with a new distriunbutor after working fine suddenly not giving a spark and thourght that it could be a "hanging" speed limiter/rpm limiter which is shown in the wiring diagram as you mention, but I cannot find it. If you will send your phone number by PM, I will call you tomorrow -
why not share the answer with the rest of us.;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Juhl

Cadet
Hi
Will gladly share the answer with you, but as we both are in DK and within a few miles, it would maybe be easier to talk than to write.
Found that there is no speed limiter! but that the problem with distributor could come from the alternator and to high voltage - to be checked
/jens

Juhl

Cadet
Hi
Got a new distributor from Mallory under warranty and now it is working - but season is over