Speed Buffer

QC

Supreme Mariner
No, not a high speed buffer, a speed buffer... On older electronic Caterpillar truck engines, and some machines, there is a separate mini-box, controller type deal called a speed buffer. CAT part number is 3E-0020. My understanding is that they condition the speed signal from the chopper wheel on the transmission and sends this conditioned signal to a speedo or other speed input requirement. Well the product I sell for nat gas truck engines requires an additional one as we use the existing or ECU internally buffered input/output making the speedo inoperative. What we have done in the past is supplied one from Caterpillar to solve the issue.

Our engineers are all tied up with new products, and oddly enough whenever something goes wrong in the field, for some reason sales (yours truly) is who they turn to for answers. As these buffers are not current production anymore, CAT has kept jacking up the price and these things are now over $1000 each. Our entire bill of materials is only $5000, so this is getting to be a big issue. So to my question:

I understand "speed buffers" are used in some light duty applications as well. Are they interchangeable? Are these things somewhat generic? Do we have to have the gold plated CAT one?

I have seen these referred to online for even GMC/Chevy pickup tranny's etc from the mid-90's. Can it be that simple?

Last edited:

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Speed Buffer

If I remember right the 427 CU industrial in the old bucket truck had a unit similar to that, not sure if it was a speed or RPM electronic governor.

Time to Google it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Sounds like it is simply a pulse generator conversion. x frequency in, y frequency out.

for new applications I would go CAN. how many units in the field do you have? if your market is large enough, I know of a few people I can point you towards to have a version created.

QC

Supreme Mariner

We are CAN now. have been, but these are 15 year old trucks. I may need 100, but that would probably be it forever. That's why I am thinking something existing.