Spectrum 1703 with 85 hp Force

jdowning8

Cadet
I just acquired this 89 Spectrum 1703 with 85 hp Force, new bimini top, float on trailer, pedastal seat, Marine CB, Marine Radio, & depth Finder for $2850. The boat looked like eye candy to me compared to what I had. It appeared to have been used very little. I am prepping it for a test spin this weekend. I have no experience or knowledge of this brand. Did I get ripped on this deal? JD

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Spectrum 1703 with 85 hp Force

That boat is a good boat, better built than mine and mine is newer, and trailer if it is functional.<br /><br />Motor is questionable. If you get it checked out and is operational, then make sure you keep up with your maintenance on it. <br /><br />Did motor provide enough power on your test drive? I hope you had one.<br /><br />Overall, price is about right, considering all the extras, maybe a little high.<br /><br />Not wishing bad luck on you, but if need be, you could always repower with a newer Merc/OMC/etc.

jdowning8

Cadet

Thanks for the input Roscoe. I havent driven it yet. I have replaced all the trailer bearings, and tires. It cranks up fine and runs good with the bunny ears on. I am starting to read and hear some things about the motors reputation now. I also heard that if you have a good force motor and keep up the maint. then its fairly reliable, but if you have a bad one its best to repower as you say. I know the previous owner did not use it alot which is not necessarily a bad thing. He has reportedly had no trouble with the engine. His medical condition spurred him to part with the boat.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

jd - I don't think you got ripped off but I do think that you should have required the seller to take you out for a thorough test/evaluation run before you emptied your wallet. Water over the dam for you but for any who read this - test it, get it checked out by someone who knows before -----------------