Speaker instalation. Is it safe?

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: Speaker instalation. Is it safe?

oops,
I think I may have given you some incorrect information. I will be keeping the factory seats on the factory box, just cutting a hole in the box to fit the subs. they are flush mount so I will not be losing any space or creating any type of tripping hazard.
My main concern was losing these boyancy floats that the box may create.

Bear, The subs need to be in a fully sealed box. (i may need to cut out all the foam to get the airspace needed for quality sound)... :(

You could carve out the appropriate amount of foam, and then the seat base becomes the sealed box. As oops said this will not be a big deal in regards to floatation... You could also place the sub under the starboard console, just above your feet, under instrument cluster..or on the port side as well, below glove box...

jse_boat_019.jpg

jse_boat_011.jpg

shrew

Lieutenant

Since speakers displace air, wouldn't you need a relatively equal amount of air space behind the speaker as is being displaced by the cone movement? Isn't that usually why there is an air hole in the back of speaker boxes to allow for the air movement and ultimately the proper sound from the speaker?

I wonder how they would sound in a sealed box filled with foam.

I could be way off on this one.

bear_69cuda

Commander

When choosing a subowofer box, the decision between sealed and ported will determine how the final install will sound. The general rule for this choice is fairly simple.

Sealed subwoofer boxes generally are much smaller than ported enclosures. If you're limited on space, it would probably be a good idea to go with a sealed enclosure. Not only is there a size difference, but there is also a difference in sound between the two enclosures. Sealed enclosures tend to produce tight, accurate bass and have a flat frequency response curve. They are also generally the enclosure of choice when looking for a SQ (Sound Quality) oriented setup.

Ported boxes can get very large and have many varying factors that will determine their size and sound output. Ported enclosures produce louder bass than sealed enclosures, and allow you to tune the box to a specific frequency to determine how the bass will sound. Higher tuning on a ported box will get louder, but at the expense of sound quality. Lower tuning will still get louder than a sealed box, and at the same time will yield fairly good sound quality. For more information on choosing the correct tuning for your ported subwoofer box, please see our article called "Choosing the Correct Tuning".

Port area and port type also plays a role in ported enclosures. Too little port area for the subwoofer box can result in port noise, which can severely detract from the sound quality of your setup. To much port area can also have a negative impact on the sound quality. However, if your goal is to get loud and not care about sound quality, then a ported box, tuned high, with a large amount of port area is the way to go.

Personal preference and size limitations will both play a role in the decision between sealed or ported enclosures. If you have the room, and you want to get loud, go with a ported box. If you're limited on space or are looking for the best sound quality possible, it would generally be best to go with a sealed box. Either way, as long as the specifications of the subwoofer box are within the subwoofer manufacturer's recommended box specifications, you should be safe with either choice.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

My main concern was losing these boyancy floats that the box may create.

absolutely no worries here.

imho the foam filling of these bases is more likely structural rigidity for the bases than flotation.
there is more than enough foam in the hull to keep you alfoat in case of swamp

xeddog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your girl friend sits in that seat a lot, don't be surprised if she keeps yelling at you to crank up the volume. :D

Wayne

Bayliner1952

Seaman

Haha nice one wayne.

I'll keep this updated as soon as the snow thaws and I can get to work. I wish I had a large enough heated garage.